Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

John in Va: gone over to the dark side.....

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jfrprops

John in Va: gone over to the dark side.....

Post by jfrprops » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Ok gang, confession time.

Old jfrprops, John in Va.....prolific if not terrific poster has sold his beloved Chris Craft cruiser (for $1...to a guy that talked the talk but has yet to walk the walk)......and gone over to Tupperware and single diesel. I cared for my CC for 21 years and then was seduced beyond my ability to resist...but a Fairchild Scout 30....repro of a classic Gatsby era raised deck plumb stem cruiser....see pic. Yes, and to further complicate the matter, she is but a 6-7 knot fuel sipper appropriately named "Snail".

Ok, so banish me from the club/group/blog or earth...but you have to admit the Scout is a head turner classic in her own right.

I took the buck, sent the new owner off with a 3/4 ton truck load of spares and told him to head right to the railway or travel lift and haul her and replace the rudder boxes that were leaking and do some of the other jobs I had done 3 or 4 times over 20+years. I truly hope and pray he will repair and restore my classic lady....but it was time to move on. That being said I did not send him off with much of my deep repository of advice and opinion....so don't look for me to drop out of the conversation....that is unless you wish to banish me. Banishment votes coming from Troy or Mfine will be ignored...though appreciated.

John in Va
Attachments
Snail.JPG
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

mfine

Re: John in Va: gone over to the dark side.....

Post by mfine » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:27 am

I wouldn't vote to banish you for that. I have long believed you wooden cruiser owners needed more therapy than utility and runabout owners.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:26 am

You know there is nothing wrong with fiberglass John. Although I am a bit disappointed that you strayed from the CC Marque. Great looking boat!

There is one thing I know for sure, you will always "go boating!" I hope you will remain active as I enjoy your posts and advice here on the Buzz. Please don't be a stranger.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:32 am

John I would only banish you if I thought I could get out of buying you the lunch that I owe you, and I know that aint going to happen. :lol:

In all honesty I wish we could get the word out more that we want anyone who is even interested in these boats to become an active member of the club. I did not join until I owned a Chris Craft even though I was stewarding one for years for Mom. At the time I felt like I would be a poser if I joined the club without having one of my own. Wish I had gotten some of your sage advice in advance.

BTW my friends have me looking real hard at a Commander as my next boat. At least it is still in the family.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:34 am

PS: Love your new boat! :mrgreen:

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello,
My name is Dan
I'M A WOODEN BOATAHOLIC

I'd like to congratulate John in VA for sharing his courageous story of recovery. It brings hope to those still sick and suffering wooden cruiser owners and offers us a path to a day when rotted planks and crumbled bronze screws no longer haunt our dreams and a leak free bottom is the norm. Thanks to people like our good friend John, we're able to see the way to our salvation and an end to the cursed disease of Wooden Boataholism. Please attend our meeting frequently and continue to be our beacon of light as we search for our own way to recovery. May your gelcoat forever glisten!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:22 pm

You know Joanroy I would love to be able to say you are wrong and over stated the case.....but you are not, and did not.

I just hope that those of you that have the classic wooden CC cruisers enjoy them as much as I did for 21 years. Now the central point here is that I enjoyed working on the boat and knew how and learned more and etc etc.....but as joanroy very directly states....this stewardship takes a toll....I paid it, respect those of you that are paying it, but sleep better knowing I have zero leaks etc.

Trading off to a slow boat also is a big change and one that so far I have truly enjoyed. The fuel consumption difference is a huge bonus as well. There is an entirely new single screw learning curve relating to maneuvering and docking and etc....but not all that difficult.

Bottom line: I am old, the old boat was old, I had done everything two or three times and at a level I am proud enough of.....
moved on.
Will still post my IMHO stuff....so look out......

thanks

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:23 pm

And, there are Roamer owners :D

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Doug P wrote:And, there are Roamer owners :D
Were not even going to start that conversation!

Actually along with the Commanders I am also searching Aluminum Roamers. Some very nice ones out there. :mrgreen:

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Roamer owners can join the Commander Club. :D

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Troy,

Your concept of searching out a nice glassic Commander is one that I shared for years. Several tempted me...but the gas hog problem always loomed. Still, there was nothing finer inside and out than a 38 commander from the early years of that run....65=65-66.....
When I was looking a decade or more ago the prices were still sky high....NOT NOW.....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

seastrake

Post by seastrake » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:21 pm

The scout is an awesome boat. I'll still be asking you some advice on my seastrake. You are Mr Seastrake Thanks for your insights