Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Setting Up Bunks On a New Trailer

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SpeedDemon651

Setting Up Bunks On a New Trailer

Post by SpeedDemon651 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:50 am

I recently purchased a new trailer and need to adjust some of the bunks to fully support my 18' Riviera hull.

My question is:
In case I have slight warping in the hull, I want to make sure my new trailer bunks are set right where they need to be. What's the best way to go about this to ensure the trailer bunks are setup correctly and supporting the hull properly ?

thanks, JH

mbigpops

Re: Setting Up Bunks On a New Trailer

Post by mbigpops » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 am

Your best bet is to lift the boat with an overhead hoist structure and then lower it close to the trailer and adjust the bunks with the hull right there. After that lower onto the trailer and see if you have any gaps between the hull and bunks and make some final adjustments to eliminate them.

You should have at least a couple inches of bunk aft of the transom when in the final position on the trailer.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

SpeedDemon651

Re: Setting Up Bunks On a New Trailer

Post by SpeedDemon651 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 am

Mark,

My bunks are close but I want to make sure "If" my hull is warped at all, that I can try to correct it as mush as possible by setting them up where the factory shape exactly was.

Does anyone have plans for the 18' Riviera ? I don't think the mariners museum does.