Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Brass Bell

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Gord

Brass Bell

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:18 pm

I have been a new member since january 2009 and have never recieved a copy of the Brass Bell. is the publication still in business or just no longer sending out issues. I had read it was published 4 times a year which means I should have two copies by now. I thought my membership included the Brass Bell issues maybe I was mistaken. Does anyone know for sure what is happening.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Gord,

I certainly feel your anxiety. I'm sure that you have read many posts here about just how good the Brass Bell is. They are true too. I'm sure there must have been a slip up for not having received the Winter issue. I'm also quite confident that the Club will see to it that one is mailed to you if you joined before this issue was published.

As Bill Basler noted in a separate thread just tonight, he has his hands full at present with running his business, raising his family and trying to find enough time to squeeze in Club business too. At present it's a delicate balancing act for sure.

He has two growing families, if you will, his personal one and us. He also has his business to manage in the midst of this tough economic period.

I know this may be difficult but I would like to ask you to bare with the Club. This same plea goes out to anyone else that may be feeling the same right now. The Spring Issue is on its way to the publishers now and will be distributed very soon, according to Bill's earlier post. He also promised to stay on top of the Summer Brass Bell as well.

All of us can help by offering our vote of confidence to Bill Basler and his volunteer support team members. I can assure all of you that Bill quite literally puts his heart and soul into the well being of this Club.

Al

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:13 am

Gord, please see this post: http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=3741

In short, the Brass Bell is alive and well, just late..plain and simple. You have been patient and I do take the issue of getting these out in a timely fashion seriously. The growth of this club is at fault! Not a bad problem to have honestly, but we obviously need to find a balance in the workload, so that I can get on top of the Brass Bell schedule once again.

Just to clarify...and I hope this eases your frustrations a bit. All memberships are directly tied back to 4 issues of the Brass Bell. Regardless of when exactly the Brass Bell mails, your membership simply cannot expire without receiving the four issues that you paid for. Our system is automated in the fashion. When a Brass Bell mails, every member's membership clicks forward one quarter. And it does not move forward a quarter until the Brass Bell mails.
Bill Basler

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Gord;

I would be glad to mail you a bunch of past issues of the BB. Just send me a private message with your address.

Thanks
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:13 pm

I was about to email Bill about missing Brass Bell issues when I saw this thread. As a fellow business owner, I can appreciate Bill's priorities, while trying to balance his dedication to publishing a magazine that meets or exceeds our expectations.

Brass Bell is, hands down, the finest quality periodical publication I receive, regardless of category. Here's a vote for some patience. I'm sure the results will be worth the wait!

mrb engine

Post by mrb engine » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:37 pm

WE DID NOT HAVE THIS TROUBLE WHEN WILSON WAS IN CHARGE.
Mr. B's Engine
281-574-4537

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 am

Bob,

The only time I didn't get a Brass Bell on time was when I forgot to renew my membership. That was back in Wilson's tenure as Executive Director. The Club was quite a bit smaller then but I don't recall getting a notice that I wasn't paid up. I just kind of slipped through the cracks, I suppose.

With almost 3500 members these days it's a lot more likely that someone may slip in that crack than ever before. Bill Basler has his heart and passion into this Club's success and I don't think for a second that he has the ability to neglect even one member of the benefits that the Club offers, much the same as Wilson Wright did in the past.

Whether it's me in the past or someone else now, things seem to get by all the precautions that folks can set up to avoid them.

Both Wilson Wright and Bill Basler are the visionaries that have and are making this organization the tremendous success that it is.

Al Benton

doubleboater

the new bell

Post by doubleboater » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 am

mr. basler, do you have any idea when the new brass bell will arrive. im REALLY looking forward to reading it. i havent recieved my new rudder latley either. my boat is only in project status so i really do miss my wood

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Actually...Kudos
Being in the publishing business for a few decades, as a pro, I can say Brass Bell is one of the finest magazines, boating related or not. Bill, keep up the good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale Harris

Brass Bell

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Bill,

I know you have your hands full right now. You have to have your priorities in order: family, job, and then Brass Bell. I'll know it will come when you can get it ready. Personally, I don't know how you do it all. Thanks for doing a world class job!

Dale
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:18 pm

I have to agree with most posts on this issue. If anyone has a complaint, then step up to the plate and help Bill out. But for my money (and its not a lot), I think Bill does a great job and in reality, does have his priorities straight. I am not saying the original poster was implying anything nefarious, quite the contrary, just an innocent question. But in any case, I look at it as if the magazine comes when it comes, as long as the quality remains high, than that is the most important thing to me. So Bill, get to it when you can.

Regards,

Jeff Bencik

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:23 am

Thank you all for your patience and understanding. I have just sent an email out to all club members. In this email there is an option to download the issue for those who want to be able to view now.

Otherwise the issue is at the printer and will be mailed within about 10 days max. The Summer issue is underway now.
Bill Basler

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:19 am

Don't you worry Bill,
The "Bell" is the finest wood boat publication out there and as such is well worth the wait. I totally understand your time constraints and will be waiting patiently for the upcoming issues.
Just one question; if the members choose to view the on-line version, does this mean that we will not be recieving the hard copy?

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 am

The online is simply a download PDF. You will receive your hard copy in the mail in vibrant color.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

doubleboater

magazine

Post by doubleboater » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:09 pm

mr basler and associates, see fitst paragraph from "57 CHRIS"......thanks for all you do.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:10 am

Well, I just couldn't resist. I managed to wait all day but finally caved in and downloaded the Brass Bell. I usually don't enjoy reading things "on-line" because of my vision, the screen angle, etc. but once I started I couldn't pull myself away.

Now with stranined neck, sholders and eyes I have treated myself to yet another great issue of the Brass Bell without creasing and smearing a single page or breaking the binding by laying it down, opened to an unfinished article on the couch for diner call while the dog uses it for a pillow.

One amazing thing about this issue is that (almost) every feature article is about other wood boat companies. I'm thinking this must be a first for the Brass Bell. The only Chris-Craft is Ralph & Bonnie Wallen's Silver Arrow along with their Profile and some increadible photography.

Although this may be unusual, I think it shows a bit of real class in our vision of this hobby in general. The Riva Connection is a natural, the others were a pleasant, interesting and informative break from what you would expect to see in the Brass Bell.

Al
Last edited by Al Benton on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 am

I can't help being curious about this issue including other boat companies. After thinking about this I am wondering why this Marque Club doesn't include Chris-Craft stories in their quarterly publication. There must be an unlimited resource for material. One would expect to see these stories in The Rudder but not in The Brass Bell. Any reaction?

Al

BillBaldwin

Spring Brass Bell Content

Post by BillBaldwin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 pm

Al,

Thanks for your valid query about non-Chris-Craft content in the Spring Brass Bell. Your comment about "unlimited" feature material being available is absolutely correct. Gobs of neat stuff exists everywhere in the "Great Out There." That's the easy part. Finding: (a) the subject material itself, (b) an expert on that material, and (c) someone who will go to the trouble of writing about it--that's a whole heck of a lot harder.

Yes, I'll admit that I have purposely opened our magazine to other marques. Since I'm the "Mangling" Editor, it's been my privilige to do so--and I think by and large, The Bell is a better publication for it. Be certain that I attempt to keep a bias toward Chris-Craft-oriented features. But every once in a while, such features become very scarce--as they did leading up to the Spring issue. In those cases, I make up the very best magazine from what I have to work with. And I think you'll admit: you've still got lots of really good stuff to read this quarter.

One more thing, since I don't post very much: Every once in a while, I ask people who have interesting subjects--and know something about them--to come forward and volunteer to write a feature. It's a rare thing to receive an answer. Please note that you don't have to be a writer; all I want is sufficient facts from which I can write your story for you--and believe me, you won't be ashamed of the story that eventually carries your by-line. I'll make sure of that.

So... Hey, out there, you included, Al Benton! The old Bell needs all the help she can get. Let's hear from you!
Bill Baldwin
Merlin: 1951 Chris-Craft 18-ft. Riviera
Goldie, 1964 Chris-Craft Cavalier 19-ft, Golden Arrow
www.billbaldwin.us

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. It's especially good to see a post from you with such a clear explanation of the Brass Bell content this quarter. The content was surprising and I felt that many members would be as curious as I about it. I feel that my last post was appropriate in that respect and that your reaction is very much appreciated by all.

I hope that folks don't misinterpret my intent. I feel that comments from readers as well as the publishers are very appropriate for this issue. As I said initially, "...it shows a bit of class in our vision of this hobby in general". So folks, if you want to see more Chris-Craft content, Bill needs input from Chris-Craft owners like us.

Al

BillBaldwin

Post by BillBaldwin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks, Al! You're the best!
Bill Baldwin
Merlin: 1951 Chris-Craft 18-ft. Riviera
Goldie, 1964 Chris-Craft Cavalier 19-ft, Golden Arrow
www.billbaldwin.us

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:29 am

I just downloaded the latest copy of the Brass bell. I wanted to wait. To sniff the fresh ink. To unpack it from its cellular cover. All part of the ritual. Then slowly go sit down and read. Thats what it's all about. But I had to cheat and look just like Al.

The other day I got almost every issue of the Brass Bell and Classic boating from a fellow Classic boater. 7 boxes of them. And what struck me is that almost every topic has been covered.... over and over again. After all it's not like we are inventing something new here. We are preserving.. and trying to understand and carry on... With that said though, as an artist, it is critical that we understand the environment that these boats were made in. Not just the life conditions of the users, but the designers, and builders. I am constantly looking to my competitors and other outside influences for inspiration. So this issue is a bit of a landmark for me. It has something new, it gives perspective, and I would hope that we see more of it. Like, who started the Clipper bow design on these boats? Is my Barrel back a rip off of a GarWood? Or, since the U22 was such a success, who ripped it off, and did they do a better job at it. All these things help us understand the spirit of our boats.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com