Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Insurance question

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 am

Be very careful of offers that are to good to be true. We are talking insurance here. Not a cheeseburger. Or a commodity like water. There are subtle differences that can be massive when something bad happens. To us here at Woody Boater it's about trust when it comes to insurance. Because in the end, that's what you are buying, piece of mind. loop holes, clauses and fine print clever phrasing can and will come back to haunt you. For example. right now I have a client at my other job, that offers a Million dollar guarantee to replace any money lost if your identity is stolen. In other words, they will pay you for your losses. Another competitor offers a Million dollar service guarantee. Seems like the same thing.. right. NO WAY.The word Service is the clue... it just pays for the work it will take to clean up your credit, and that is if they do a bad job.. Very subtle.. but could have a massive impact on your wallet. It's about trust. I trust Hagerty when it comes to my boats. And I am a 30 year client of State Farm for other stuff.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:11 am

Amen. Hagerty also has my trust. AND I'm sure they gave me a cheeseburger at some point.
Last edited by Chad Durren on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 am

Can I have a hallelujah brother!
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:19 am

I know you had to look up "Halelujah" Matt.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:22 am

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Yes I did.. Did you know that the song was written by Lenard Cohen and that.... I cant type i am laughing so hard.
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Delta Moon

Post by Delta Moon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:24 am

Haggerty is Only a Broker. They are Not a carrier nor do they Write any of there Own polices. They did handle the paint claim on the Delta Moon and except for the 4000.00 deductable it went quite well. But I did save 600.00 a year switvhing to Gundry and a 500 deductable.

They are both brokers. and they are both Good.

cgernhofer

Insurance Question

Post by cgernhofer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 am

What a great string regarding insurance! Enjoy the comments but would like to address some misconceptions in the string.

Hagerty developed agreed value for wooden boats over 26 years ago. We pride ourselves on our commitment in supporting organizations such as the CCABC. We have specific programs depending on size and type of boat with deductible options for each program and location of boat.

Our sole underwriter is Essentia Insurance, a member of OneBeacon Insurance, A rated by Best.

Several of the aforementioned carriers do not offer a true marine policy. In the end, what you're buying is how your claim is handled in the event of an occurrence. Remember, you get what you pay for!!!
We welcome questions from any of you so please call us at 1-800-762-2628 and speak to anyone on our expert marine team!
Last edited by cgernhofer on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carla Gernhofer
Vice President, Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency, LLC

farupp

Post by farupp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for that important information, Carla. I have Hagerty Insurance for my Sea Skiff and the service has always been great.

I recommend Hagerty to everyone who asks.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

cgernhofer

Insurance Question

Post by cgernhofer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 pm

I personally want to thank everyone for their support of Hagerty over the years. We are there for you now and will certainly be there in your time of need should a loss occur.

As far as Stovebolt, please contact me personally or provide me information and I will call you. We would love to write your Chris Craft and value our new relationships in Canada as well.
Carla Gernhofer
Vice President, Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency, LLC

cschmaltz

Insurance Question

Post by cschmaltz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 pm

AND....
Because we are involved in the lifestyle on almost every level...owning boats, being members of every related organization, attending, supporting and sponsoring more events and programs relating to our lifestyle than all the other Companies combined, we hope that our commitment is reconized.
Hagerty only insures classic boats & cars. Our program is not just a lost leader, lead gernerator to try to sell you other insurance coverages. This is all we do and we believe we do it better than anyone else. We realize we may not be the cheapest, and some others may offer higher limits on coverages that you may never use. We have a shaired vision with most of you involved in our lifestyle, to provide a product that allows you be comfortible in making the investment to perserving these historic vessels for future generations.
Thank you all for the support - safe boating!
Chris Schmaltz
Sales & Marketing Manager
Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance, LLC

cschmaltz

Insurance Question

Post by cschmaltz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:48 pm

yes...I learned to spell from Matt Smith
Chris Schmaltz

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:55 pm

It's branded Woody Boater speak.

Here is how it works.
i=I

Ok =OK

Anyword with an i before an e gets confused.

Their and There mean the same thing.

Words with silent letters read at your own risk.

of, off, to and too just piss me off, of...

Your, or you're or youre are all the same in Woodyboaterville. which, witch is not a real town.

There.. a lesson in the Woodyboaterville official language.. its so much easier when you just let go..
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:25 pm

Now I'm really confused... About both the marine insurance business AND the english language.

I need a vacation... Maybe to Florida for the Sunnyland Boat Show.
Reg Down

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Great testimony from Carla & Charles regarding Hagerty Collectors Insurance. They don't just specialize in vintage car and boat insurance, they dedicate their entire business to it. That says a lot.

In my opinion, it makes good sense to invest in a company that's an integral part of and literally embedded into our hobby than one that offers coverage as a side to their normal business (or specialty).

Reg, Woody Boater wouldn't be nearly as interesting without his fair share grammar and spelling issues. Woody Boater in Woodyboaterville and Woody in Toy Story are both very animated characters, one figuratively and the other literally. One that we can meet face to face in Tavares in a couple of weeks and the other, well, only on the big screen (or TV). I look forward to the real, live, warm hearted one that can actually shake your hand without getting splinters. See all of you on Lake Dora in just a few more days. WoooHooo!!!

Al

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:23 am

Matt: how about publishing, in less than 10 pages, the official Woodyboatervillecenterburg dictionary, spelling and prounciation guide?
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 am

Todays story.. Doing it right now,, Ha great minds..
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Delta Moon

My Haggerty Claim Exp.

Post by Delta Moon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 am

My upset, as a Licenced Insurance agent, I never expected to use my insurance. I have a yacht that has a investment of close to 500K over the last 15 years.

But only insured her for 40k. The Only deductable I was offered By hagerty at the Time was 4000.00. at a Rate of 1K a year.

Then I had a non fault claim on my paint job from a recycling company with EPA reports done and police reports done. This was last year.

My paint job had 25K in damage from Haggerty's apprasial.

My Boat has since been repainted. BUT I am still out the Four Thousand dollars .

If I had done a bit more research, I could have saved myself 3500.00

And when I was at the Bost show in Tahoe last year, was treated Very Rude by Haggertys reps at the Booth.

I provide world class service with my company and expect the same.

Haggerty ended Up costing me 4000.00 last year out of pocket on claim number 0aa758543 and the subro phone contact number 716-932-2221 is a disconnected number.

I do have to say that my claims rep Brian, was a wonderful and amazing man.

So I am sure you understand my upset with That company.

Delta Moon

upset part2

Post by Delta Moon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:58 am

In addition, when I sign and agreed to the claim with Haggerty, I signed off all legal Rights to pursue any legal action to go after my Deductable in small claims court to the party that damaged my paint.

Quailty service would be waiving a deductable as my company does or going Tooth and nial on the Subro and the follow Up on the Subro for both Beacone one money and Mine.

I have had to make all the follow up calls to try and get my deductable back so far from the Subrogation team. and get the Contact info for them as well on the At fault companies person of record.

So when a Company claims good service, You will never know until you use them as I have.

And I used to sell Haggerty 22 years ago, and that is why i went with them. But My experiance cost me. That is why i did not renew with them.

Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks for the info Carla! I look forward to hearing from you!! :D
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft

cschmaltz

Insurance Question

Post by cschmaltz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:10 am

Delta Moon...

We have information in regards to the status of the subrogation to recover your deductible from at fault party.
Privacy laws will not allow us to respond with details in a public forum.
We will be contacting you directly today.
We always urge any Clients with any questions or issues to contact us directly.

Safe boating!
Chris Schmaltz

Delta Moon

WOW missing thread

Post by Delta Moon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 am

I left a resonce about bad service from Hagerty, and hagerty responded two weeks ago that I would recive a call that day. I come back to respond back that It has been two's weeks and no phone call, e mail or contact. And the section of the thread about the Bad service is Gone. and the contact person that left it from haggerty is still here.

????? I posted bad service from a company to warn others. It is ok to say how great someone is on here, but not when there has been a bad experiance.????

A man or company is only as good as there word !

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:48 am

Did you call them?
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Delta Moon

My appolies

Post by Delta Moon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:48 am

I hit a send button before Hitting the next page on thr thread... as O have not recived a call yet over the last two weeks. and was looking for the contact person at haggerty that said they would call.
found it after hitting send...
Doah :roll: :roll:

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 am

Ha, been there done that
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Delta Moon

Post by Delta Moon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:52 am

no Haggerty state in the post

We will be contacting you directly today, so i gave them the chance. I do not expect to see my 4K deducatable again...That is why I did not renew with them.

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:59 am

I hope you speak with them. I am sure there is more to the story, there always is.
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

cschmaltz

Insurance Question

Post by cschmaltz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:13 am

Delta Moon,

We have again sent direct emails to the aaa-calf email address we have on file. They keep being returned as blocked by your firewall. We attempted to to email on the 3rd & 8th, Can you contact us to confirm the correct information? 800-762-2628 or email [email protected] Carla is VP of Hagerty Marine
Chris Schmaltz

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:38 pm

We just purchased another boat..story on that later...but its a 1940 33' Enclosed Cruiser. I ended up going with Grundy...so far they have been pretty good to work with....and in the end didnt require the survey, they really seem to understand wooden boats.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Wilson Wright

Odds&Ends/Insurance

Post by Wilson Wright » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Got an e-mail from Gringy today...with pic of hot lookin' chick, says, she'll see me at Mt. Dora...Maybe I'll go a day early
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Dale Harris

Insurance

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:59 pm

I've had Hagerty on my boat since I bought it almost 8 years ago. Chris Smaltz is a gem and he bends over backward to help you. I cannot think of one instance where I have asked Chris for help and he hasn't come through for me. You get what you pay for. Period.
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"