Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Tango Uniform

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

laclede

Re: Tango Uniform: Restoration of a 1941 44 Foot Chris Craft

Post by laclede » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:09 am

[
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

laclede

Post by laclede » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 am

[a
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laclede

Post by laclede » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 am

d
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laclede

Post by laclede » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 am

f
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laclede

Post by laclede » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:18 am

fs
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:09 am

I apologize for bringing this forward but, In all fairness and due respect, what does this have to do with BOAT BUZZ? :?

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 am

Jim,

There was much discussion about the content early in this thread. This is Laclede's thread and I find it interesting to see other's perspectives. Maybe not all the time straight on normal Boat Buzz content but compelling none the less. We follow that which interests us or not.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... at_id=1708

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 am

Laclede,

Here's another video by the Ellis Family of the "Opening of the Gates" ceremony done by the Pacific Northwest Yacht Club each year at the start of the season. You have probably seen or certainly will see many of these boats as you get out and about on yours. They do many events and some together with the Vancover, B. C. Club. Hope work will soon resume on your boat.

http://youtu.be/ncIWRBbiJCg
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

laclede

Post by laclede » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:17 am

F
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:33 am

I would have to say Bill, there is a huge amount of interest items our members COULD subject us all to. Than what? Simply put, a time and a place. I like to review the progress of this restoration. When I open the thread, I hope this is what I see. Initially, there were interest photos among the restoration photos. This last post was entirely absent of any Boat Buzz related interest. Not really a big deal, just sayin. :wink:

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 am

Hmmm, so we are all beta testers for Laclede's experiment? :shock:

mfine

Post by mfine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:39 pm

I view the content posted as a window to a man's experiences and interests that undoubtably not only influence his ability and willingness to take on such a project, but also influence the decisions he is making along the way. To me it is all related.

This project is a huge undertaking and is fairly unique. This thread has become equally large and also very unique. We probably don't want every thread on the buzz to flow like this, but there is no harm in letting the "experiment" run its course. We know some people don't like it, but it is the most popular thread in Buzz history which has to mean somebody likes it.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Matt, Jim

by Don Ayers » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:06 pm

A Reminder:
Boat Buzz is the online discussion forum for members of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club. Topics can be browsed by the public, but you must be a member of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club to take part in discussion. While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to Boat Buzz forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people), or the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club and its executive team, and hence will not be held liable. You also agree that the purpose of Boat Buzz is to exchange technical discussion relative to classic and antique boats, specifically Chris-Crafts. In keeping with that purpose, sales transactions or discussion relative to the selling of merchandise is not allowed. The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club offers other excellent avenues for sales transactions, specifically the Trading Dock at www.tradingdock.org.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered above; they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The e-mail address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).

By registering on Boat Buzz you agree to be bound by these conditions.

mfine

Post by mfine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Doug,

Are you trying to say that the postings in this thread are in violation of the rules Don posted? I have not personally reviewed every post on every page, but I did not see any sales transactions nor "any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws." If such violations exist they should be directed to the forum mods.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:28 pm

I wasn't going to bother to comment on any of this but since it took the turn, here goes.

First, I find this thread sort of typical of the organized Antique boat crowd. I understand that a restoration is being done, but the owner isn't doing it. He's paying for it mind you, but everybody congratulating Laclede on his resto is a bit much for me. Most people couldn't afford this restoration, but the cheque writer doesn't get to lay claim to either. This is just my own opinion, but many of my trade friends could understand what I'm saying.

Second, I find this thread a bit bizarre with Ted Bundy's death bed, little girls and other strange pictures. Again, just my opinion, worth only a cuppa joe on a good day.

Finally, based on the popularity of the thread and the overall feedback, I have decided not to renew my membership. I am a restorer owner in the peasant sense, and all the money and the constant pictures of the barrelbacks and the cobras are not what I'm interested in. I don't in any way feel angry, unwelcome, or think that I will be missed. It's the old finger in the bucket thing. I'm just not on the same page. Besides, there are lots of restorers and professionals on this forum that could answer any amateurs questions. Take care all!

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Peter, i wish you would reconsider. I always enjoy your comments. I know a number of the regular contributors and I can assure you that many of them are of modest means, do their own work on an amazing variety of boats that are not barrel backs, etc. and most would not ever win a prize. My thought on Laclede is that if you dont care for his postings, dont read them. I realize they are not for everyone, to be sure, and may very well seem tangential at best to the general thrust of the buzz.

There is tremendous value in the buzz and i hope you can see that too! I know i will miss seeing you on the buzz.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

laclede

Post by laclede » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 pm

T
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 pm

mfine wrote:Doug,

Are you trying to say that the postings in this thread are in violation of the rules Don posted? I have not personally reviewed every post on every page, but I did not see any sales transactions nor "any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws." If such violations exist they should be directed to the forum mods.
Simply quoting what I signed up for

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Peter M Jardine wrote:I wasn't going to bother to comment on any of this but since it took the turn, here goes.

First, I find this thread sort of typical of the organized Antique boat crowd. I understand that a restoration is being done, but the owner isn't doing it. He's paying for it mind you, but everybody congratulating Laclede on his resto is a bit much for me. Most people couldn't afford this restoration, but the cheque writer doesn't get to lay claim to either. This is just my own opinion, but many of my trade friends could understand what I'm saying.

Second, I find this thread a bit bizarre with Ted Bundy's death bed, little girls and other strange pictures. Again, just my opinion, worth only a cuppa joe on a good day.

Finally, based on the popularity of the thread and the overall feedback, I have decided not to renew my membership. I am a restorer owner in the peasant sense, and all the money and the constant pictures of the barrelbacks and the cobras are not what I'm interested in. I don't in any way feel angry, unwelcome, or think that I will be missed. It's the old finger in the bucket thing. I'm just not on the same page. Besides, there are lots of restorers and professionals on this forum that could answer any amateurs questions. Take care all!
Peter, Stick around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mfine

Post by mfine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Doug P wrote:
mfine wrote:Doug,

Simply quoting what I signed up for
This thread is not what I signed up for either. Personally I have little interest in cruisers. When I signed up, I also had no interest in the fiberglass CC boats, but that has changed with time and now I follow those threads with more interest. I don't read every thread or every post here. Sometimes I just scan engine and power train threads, other times I check out anything new under the new posts button. Sometimes I check in on this thread, other times I ignore it. I guess I just don't understand why this thread bothers so many people. If you don't like Laclede's style, don't follow the thread. OTOH, if there is stuff in here that is offensive or whatever, that is a different story. I probably have only read 1/3 rd of it so I honestly don't know if there is or isn't anything bad in here that should call for moderator action. A bunch of historical pics from the time period but not directly of boats seems more like context to me even if a bit "weird" rather than a pressing issue for club management.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 pm

I'm with Matt, and hopefully the majority of the rest of the crowd here, on this. I have looked at most of the posts made and while they may or may not be boat related, I haven't seen anything that would be in violation of the rules of the board. He has not insulted anyone, used obscene or vulgar matter, sold anything, threatened anyone, or anything else that would be cause for any type of disciplinary action.

And to leave the club because of this thread and the popularity of it? I don't get it. There are thousands of threads on this Forum and I have found plenty for everyone in my time here. Aluminum, Cruiser, Fiberglass, Skiff, you name it. It's just like TV, if you don't like what's on, change the channel and there are plenty of channels here.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

High Seas

Post by High Seas » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:56 am

Jim Bell wrote:I would have to say Bill, there is a huge amount of interest items our members COULD subject us all to. Than what? Simply put, a time and a place. I like to review the progress of this restoration. When I open the thread, I hope this is what I see. Initially, there were interest photos among the restoration photos. This last post was entirely absent of any Boat Buzz related interest. Not really a big deal, just sayin. :wink:
To Jim,

If you just put 200K into a boat restoration than I would say you had a point........ But you did not..... so let him have his peace.... This thread is about a rebirth of a 1940 C.C. that they only built 8 boats... let the owner speak his mind. I have put over 100K into my boat in the last 7 years and ! am proud of it. I will never get the money back, but that is not the point, we do this to restore old cruisers and bring them back to life. If you had 200K what would you do with it? He decided to save an old boat. It's his money and his dream.......

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:38 am

High Seas wrote:
Jim Bell wrote:I would have to say Bill, there is a huge amount of interest items our members COULD subject us all to. Than what? Simply put, a time and a place. I like to review the progress of this restoration. When I open the thread, I hope this is what I see. Initially, there were interest photos among the restoration photos. This last post was entirely absent of any Boat Buzz related interest. Not really a big deal, just sayin. :wink:
To Jim,

If you just put 200K into a boat restoration than I would say you had a point........ But you did not..... so let him have his peace.... This thread is about a rebirth of a 1940 C.C. that they only built 8 boats... let the owner speak his mind. I have put over 100K into my boat in the last 7 years and ! am proud of it. I will never get the money back, but that is not the point, we do this to restore old cruisers and bring them back to life. If you had 200K what would you do with it? He decided to save an old boat. It's his money and his dream.......
This IS what I signed up for. From "reminder" " YOU ALSO AGREE THAT THE PURPOSE OF BOAT BUZZ IS TO EXCHANGE TECHNICAL DISCUSSION REALITIVE TO CLASSIC AND ANTIQUE BOATS, SPECIFICALLY CHRIS-CRAFT" This was established in the beginning. Why did the Moderators let this thread continue. They have let us all down by not backing up what they had established from the start of the Buzz. Had they dealt with this, we would not be where we are now.

I have been a member since 1997, regardless of what they have recorded (2006). Although I do not get the reasoning behind the comment, I have spent well in excess of 200K on this hobby over the years. I just renewed my membership and it was a tough choice for me this time for many reasons. I referred several new members over the years. It was done out of my passion for the club. I don't do that anymore.

This is sad. Jim.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:34 am

While there may have been a few tangents with pictures of things other than boats, many of these pictures and comments are about the period, the time gone by, the journey to get where he is now, etc. if you want to keep all discussions STRICTLY boat related, I guess the moderators have some work to do. We have discussed trucks, campers, wives, children, and many other topics here which were not boat related.

I think Don Vogt said it best with if you don't enjoy The posts, don't read them. And, if it's really "not a big deal" and you're " just sayin", it sure seems like it's a big deal by saying the moderators have let everybody down. There was discussion early on during this thread where it came up, and the majority of the comments were for keeping the thread going and not to take it down because a couple of members didn't care for the extracurricular pics and comments.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

mfine

Post by mfine » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 am

Jim,

I still don't get it. This thread is filled with technical info on Chris Craft cruisers and detailed info on the restoration of one in particular. More than any other cruiser thread I have seen. Yes there is other content as well, but what about it is so offensive that you would stop recommending the club or chose to not renew? This thread could have 1000 pictures of a mahogany tree growing and it wouldn't do anything to reduce the usefulness of all the other threads. If you can't wade through the non-technical posts, just skip the thread. No one is forced to read it all. The alternative is for the club to introduce heavy handed moderation which take time and resources we don't necessarily have and which would alienate Laclede who happens to be one of the few people in the world willing and able to save a Chris Craft cruiser like this.

There has to be more to the story if this single thread is eliciting such a negative response from a few people who should be perfectly capable of never even opening it if they choose. What about it is so detrimental to the board and the club that you can't coexist with it?

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:07 am

So, the statement in the initial rules are meaningless? :shock: I would like to hear from the Moderators who wrote this. Did any of you ever have the feeling that this thread was inappropriate? Is it in keeping with your "reminder" statements intent? What was the reasoning behind this line in the statement?

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 am

I appreciate all of the restoration information in this thread. I also am interested in the human condition and find the exploration of that relationship to the process of restoring a cruiser especially relevant. The fact that this thread has been as popular as it is is evidence that others find value here as well. I've only been a member for a few years but I've been especially disappointed that the Brass Bell has so little to offer those interested in cruisers. Even the current issue, which has a cruiser pictured on the cover, doesn't have a related article inside. I would love to see Laclede's restoration as an article or even a series of articles in the Brass Bell. This thread is the only one of the many that I follow or read on Boat Buzz that has posts on a regular basis. Many threads sit idle for months or years. The archives are very valuable as well but the continued activity on this thread I find enjoyable and informative on many sides. I do not feel that it runs counter to the stated objectives of the forum.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

mfine

Post by mfine » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 am

I didn't say the statement was meaningless. The statement says the purpose is to exchange technical information. This thread has more of it than any other on the Buzz as far as I can tell. The statement DOES NOT SAY anything to the effect that all threads must be 100% on topic or 100% technical. In fact, it says nothing at all about off topic posts except for the explicitly called out sales and the list of offensive, illegal etc. At least that is how I read and interpret it.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 am

Jim Bell wrote:So, the statement in the initial rules are meaningless? :shock: I would like to hear from the Moderators who wrote this. Did any of you ever have the feeling that this thread was inappropriate? Is it in keeping with your "reminder" statements intent? What was the reasoning behind this line in the statement?
Interpretation is why I have asked the mods to chime in here. :)

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:01 pm

quitchabitchin wrote:I'm with Matt, and hopefully the majority of the rest of the crowd here, on this. I have looked at most of the posts made and while they may or may not be boat related, I haven't seen anything that would be in violation of the rules of the board. He has not insulted anyone, used obscene or vulgar matter, sold anything, threatened anyone, or anything else that would be cause for any type of disciplinary action.

And to leave the club because of this thread and the popularity of it? I don't get it. There are thousands of threads on this Forum and I have found plenty for everyone in my time here. Aluminum, Cruiser, Fiberglass, Skiff, you name it. It's just like TV, if you don't like what's on, change the channel and there are plenty of channels here.
Just for the record I complained about the thread when it featured Ted Bundys deathbed. I personally dont find these pictures to be appropriate content. No reply was received to this complaint, and no deletion was made, so I assume this thread meets the standards of the club. I have looked at the boat pics...but no technical subtext was offered obviously. I am not going to go on and on about this, but at this point I felt I should at least give the background.

If the content of the thread is acceptable to the board...thats fine. I read the rules and felt otherwise. There are other parts to my decision, but it isnt necessary to go over them. Like I said....no big deal.