Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Tango Uniform

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mfine

Re: Tango Uniform: Restoration of a 1941 44 Foot Chris Craft

Post by mfine » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:47 pm

I would agree on deathbed pics being inappropriate for the buzz.

John D

Post by John D » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:06 pm

While I had not complined or commented, I'm glad that someone did as I feel the thread had swayed from the original intent of showing a restoration and from the main spirit of this forum. The pix of from his restorer from central america during a riot was the tipping point for me. If the poster has this desire to include a rich mixture of culture and thoughts that is a good reason to start his own blog/twitter as the internet allows many possibilities.

Peter - As an avid reader I value your posts and the forum was enriched when you joined. I remember some early opinions about anchors in different types of sand/gravel among many others. Please reconsider.

- John
John Dort
1956 22' Shepherd v-drive; 392 Hemi

prenautique

Post by prenautique » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Well, one thing I can say is I thouroughly enjoyed and scoured the boat pictures for information I can use. I had to make up a little story as I went as most all of Laclede's comments and some other's comments have been deleted by them or whoever. The pictures that didn't hold any particular interest to me I just skimmed over and used for context for the running story I had to make up in my mind.
Being not able to see or read the content that has offended many leaves me at a loss to pass judgement. I'm just glad this boat was saved.
What's the big deal?? Should have started reading the thread before all the stuff was deleted I guess....I've been busy!
Cursed with an eye for the possibilites

quitchabitchin

Re: Tango Uniform (Restoration of a 1940 44 foot Chris Craft

Post by quitchabitchin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:22 pm

Peter M Jardine wrote:Okay, I'll bite. What does the outline of Bundy's corpse and the deep throat ad have to do with Chris Craft boats?
I'm not sure if this is your complaint Peter, but if so, I wouldn't think that a question that seemed to be aimed at Laclede himself would qualify as a complaint. If you complained to the moderators or someone else on the Board, then I see your point and think any and all complaints directed at this group should indeed be addressed. If the complaints were not addressed by the Board, then I could understand your position of leaving the club, otherwise, I am still perplexed. To each his own and you can do whatever you want, but I certainly think this thread alone should not be reason for anyone to leave the club.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:25 pm

For a final comment: The complaint was made to the moderator, as well as my comment on the thread. The moderator/board chose not to respond, and did not remove the offending post. All good, I'm sure they decided it was fine.

I do not.

Please read my remarks more carefully. This thread is not my only reason, but one of the reasons I will not rejoin at the end of this month. I should have just shut up and gone away.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Peter M Jardine wrote:For a final comment: The complaint was made to the moderator, as well as my comment on the thread. The moderator/board chose not to respond, and did not remove the offending post. All good, I'm sure they decided it was fine.

I do not.

Please read my remarks more carefully. This thread is not my only reason, but one of the reasons I will not rejoin at the end of this month. I should have just shut up and gone away.

Much the same way they (moderators) are doing now Peter. I think I am right behind you. Still waiting for Brass Bell #1, 2014. Apparently there is a big cruiser on the cover. Hmmmm.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Yeah Jim, On the cover is Aphrodite. She is appropriately named as the owner prior to Pierre would "visit" the local brothels. :D
By the way....what is/are your boat(s) named.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:35 pm

That is an awesome boat! I saw it many years ago when the ACBS had a group headed up the Rideau Canal going to the Manotick show. (Ottawa, Ontario.) black torpedo hull, Beautiful!! I believe it has had a complete restoration since than.

Our '74, F36 Trojan is named "SEABISCUIT". The '65 24'CC Sea Skiff I am restoring is going to be named "GEORGI GIRL" Being on Georgian Bay or, possibly "SUMMER OF 65" a Brian Adams tune. The year I was 16.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 pm

whamm511 wrote:I appreciate all of the restoration information in this thread. I also am interested in the human condition and find the exploration of that relationship to the process of restoring a cruiser especially relevant. The fact that this thread has been as popular as it is is evidence that others find value here as well. I've only been a member for a few years but I've been especially disappointed that the Brass Bell has so little to offer those interested in cruisers. Even the current issue, which has a cruiser pictured on the cover, doesn't have a related article inside. I would love to see Laclede's restoration as an article or even a series of articles in the Brass Bell. This thread is the only one of the many that I follow or read on Boat Buzz that has posts on a regular basis. Many threads sit idle for months or years. The archives are very valuable as well but the continued activity on this thread I find enjoyable and informative on many sides. I do not feel that it runs counter to the stated objectives of the forum.

Bill.

Thanks for this post. I think there is a common misconception that the Editor and Board decide NOT to focus on larger craft in the publication. Nothing could be farther from the truth!!!!

I have been directly involved with the Brass Bell for many years and I can tell you we are subject to what people want to contribute.

People with cruisers do not often come forward and offer to write content for the Bell. Also it is rare to see special cruisers at inland shows. I know that whenever I see them I try to talk to the owners and ask for content as well as get the rare photo shoot.

Ps. Cruisers are not easy to photograph if you can't get a good vantage point.

I wish we could get more cruiser owners to come forward. We do the best we can and I think our efforts are top shelf for an all volunteer team. No one here gets paid a dime!

We continue to post here and put in the Brass Bell a message of outreach for new material.

Regarding the current issue with a cruiser cover and no story within the issue. The follow on story is in the next issue and is being written by the owner. I put forward the cover photo and we also gave additional options to the board to choose from. Everyone loved the cruiser and wanted to go with it even though the follow story was not done.

Most of the time it's difficult to match a cove and a story. We did it with the last one and the Miss Detroit III racer. Just could not pull it off in time.

Bill, thanks for being a member. Please send in a story about a your boat and experiences.

Best
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Peter M Jardine wrote:For a final comment: The complaint was made to the moderator, as well as my comment on the thread. The moderator/board chose not to respond, and did not remove the offending post. All good, I'm sure they decided it was fine.

I do not.

Peter and all

Everyone needs to keep something in mind. The "moderators" on this forum are just everyday members like everyone else. We love classic CC'S and other makes. We have day jobs and many other responsibilities of life so often times that stuff gets in the way of the fun time, like using and working on our boats AND reading posts on this forum.

As President of the CCABC I have to be mindful of everyone opinion because everyone paid for the privledge to post here.

I have received two complaints regarding this thread since it started. The entire Board has discussed this thread and its content. At the last discussion we did all agree that while the content has been sometimes "way out there" it did not need to be censored or shut down.

This being said it is very fair to say the the moderators (simply the Board members looking at posts when we can) have not reviewed this thread in its entirety. We have to rely on the membership to police content as well and report concerns and that is what has happened now.

Based on the feedback I would have to agree that some of this content, while not drastically graphic, has little relevance to the overall educational and sharing experience intent. this kind of content should be moderated in a warning first to the poster and then furtHer action taken if seriously concerning content continues.

Consider the poster warned.

I think there is a lot of excellent content here as well as a ton of other information that most would not find interesting.

If content needs to be addressed please reach out to the Board and say so. If some of the unrelated content is not of your liking then don't even look at this thread. Frankly I could not keep up with it and just quit. I want to see pics of the boat but that is just me talking.

I'm sure now I've offended 50% of the readership on this thread but what to do....?

Happy boating
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Don,
Damned if you do
Damned if you don't.
The board is doing a fine job.

prenautique

Post by prenautique » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Doug P wrote:Don,
Damned if you do
Damned if you don't.
The board is doing a fine job.

I agree.
I'm glad to hear that you are wanting cruiser stories. If all goes well by next fall I will be telling my own cruiser restoration story to anyone who cares to listen. Could also turn into a controversial thread though......I am comtemplating.....dare I say it......epoxy encapsulation.....*audience spills into streets, runs away screaming*..... :oops:

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:03 pm

I kinda skimmed through most of the recent pictures on this thread and see them as a sort of place holder until the restoration ramps up again. I missed the Bundy thing, thankfully. That said, I am deeply appreciative that laclede and his professional restorers shared so much technical information just by posting pics of the work. As an amateur working on my own cruiser of the same vintage (which we have owned for 25 years and ran hard for 20) I have been able to copy techniques and confirm that what I did before I saw the pics on the thread was in fact ok. I don't pretend to get pro results. By next summer Elude will finally be ready to go and I hope she will serve us for another 10-15 years. She will look fabulous to us. I am also of the opinion that paying professions to do this kind of work helps to preserve the craft (As in 'the trade'. Not the actual boat. Which could also be called a craft. But not in this instance. If you get my meaning). Keeping these boats going a little longer is all that matters in the end.

Other threads have been very useful as well.

Smile, spring is coming!

Rob in Toronto
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:08 pm

p.s. Epoxy encapsulation would be controversial!!!! But maybe if I re-power by hanging a 60hp Mercury Big Foot outboard off the back end of Elude I can take some heat off you........
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

prenautique

Post by prenautique » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm

robertpaul wrote:p.s. Epoxy encapsulation would be controversial!!!! But maybe if I re-power by hanging a 60hp Mercury Big Foot outboard off the back end of Elude I can take some heat off you........
Any help taking the heat off would be greatly appreciated. Maybe attach your outboard to Elude with galvanized lag bolts and orange ratchet straps! :D
Rest assured I have and am still doing my homework. Epoxy enc. has not been cast in stone yet, but as of now I'm leaning that way. I'm not easily offended so........we'll see..

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:51 pm

robertpaul wrote:I kinda skimmed through most of the recent pictures on this thread and see them as a sort of place holder until the restoration ramps up again. I missed the Bundy thing, thankfully. That said, I am deeply appreciative that laclede and his professional restorers shared so much technical information just by posting pics of the work. As an amateur working on my own cruiser of the same vintage (which we have owned for 25 years and ran hard for 20) I have been able to copy techniques and confirm that what I did before I saw the pics on the thread was in fact ok. I don't pretend to get pro results. By next summer Elude will finally be ready to go and I hope she will serve us for another 10-15 years. She will look fabulous to us. I am also of the opinion that paying professions to do this kind of work helps to preserve the craft (As in 'the trade'. Not the actual boat. Which could also be called a craft. But not in this instance. If you get my meaning). Keeping these boats going a little longer is all that matters in the end.

Other threads have been very useful as well.

Smile, spring is coming!

Rob in Toronto

Rob. Why don't you write up a story and submit to the Brass Bell???
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

High Seas

Post by High Seas » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:21 pm

mfine wrote:
Doug P wrote:
mfine wrote:Doug,

Are you trying to say that the postings in this thread are in violation of the rules Don posted? I have not personally reviewed every post on every page, but I did not see any sales transactions nor "any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws." If such violations exist they should be directed to the forum mods.
Simply quoting what I signed up for
This thread is not what I signed up for either. Personally I have little interest in cruisers. When I signed up, I also had no interest in the fiberglass CC boats, but that has changed with time and now I follow those threads with more interest. I don't read every thread or every post here. Sometimes I just scan engine and power train threads, other times I check out anything new under the new posts button. Sometimes I check in on this thread, other times I ignore it. I guess I just don't understand why this thread bothers so many people. If you don't like Laclede's style, don't follow the thread. OTOH, if there is stuff in here that is offensive or whatever, that is a different story. I probably have only read 1/3 rd of it so I honestly don't know if there is or isn't anything bad in here that should call for moderator action. A bunch of historical pics from the time period but not directly of boats seems more like context to me even if a bit "weird" rather than a pressing issue for club management.

To all,

This thread was created by an owner and needs to be deemed as such. You do not own his boat and have not put the money forth for the restoration of this classic dream. I have read through the posts this evening and have come up to one conclusion: you do not have to read this thread to belong to Boat Buzz, and as a person that likes cruisers and owns the biggest Chris Craft cruiser ever built, I assume that most of the people that do not like this thread have envy for the owner of this boat. Please do not take out your disgust on the person willing to give every dime he had to bring this boat back. I have personally put over $200,000 into my boat and I will never see it back but I applaud the owner for having the guts to complete the project and never turn back. He puts up pictures pertaining to the time period his boat was built and the years proceeding, what is wrong with a little history? Again I say, if you did not like this thread, you would not be reading it................... yes, you are still reading it because you are interested in old wood boats, and that is why this forum exists.

High Seas

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:36 am

A
Last edited by laclede on Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 am

i
Last edited by laclede on Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:59 am

y
Last edited by laclede on Mon May 05, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:12 am

According to several books the largest Roamer built was 77'. The description here states that the cockpit was added in 1998. I would assume then that this started out as something less than 80' and was lengthened to add the cockpit. It is a beautiful ship.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... at_id=1708

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 am

I managed to find one of the 5.5 hp Challenger Outboards built by Chris Craft. According to the serial # mine was produced during Chris Craft's first week of production in 1949. I plan to use it as power for my Dinghy.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:41 pm

y

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:10 pm

What exactly is the guy on the dock doing? And what is he wearing? Is he drinking, or has he been drinking?

Awesome boat for sale!
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:26 pm

A
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Great naval photo. Do you know, where, when?

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:50 pm

A

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:57 pm

A
Last edited by laclede on Mon May 05, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:07 am

Since it's Easter Sunday Morning my guess is they're holding a Sunrise Service and are probably in Prayer. Looks like they might have a printed Liturgy or Order of service. Agree completely with dichotomy of the scene.

The Army Chaplin that Blessed the Enola Gay and her Crew spent the remainder if his life here in Flint, MI. and was a strong advocate for causes of Peace. He traveled to Hiroshima & Nagasaki and was forever changed. We have a sad tendency in this world of always using every weapon we've developed. Scary to think what might be in development now.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

laclede

Post by laclede » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 am

S
Last edited by laclede on Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.