Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Epic Steering Wheel Removal Fail

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Epic Steering Wheel Removal Fail

Post by jbyers » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:06 pm

In hopes that someone might be more careful than I was........ I used a bearing race splitter and got a very good angle on the wheel. I kept the nut on the shaft in hopes that I would not mangle the threads.

Nevertheless, the shaft on the bearing puller got inside of the steering shaft and mangled it up. I never got the wheel to budge and ended up having to drill out the shaft to be able to get the throttle shaft back down it. Looks like this wheel will be restored in place as best I can and if I ever get the entire steering column out someday, maybe I'll be able to get it apart and replace the threaded shaft......

In retrospect I should have placed a socket or something else more protective over the shaft and maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Oh well :cry:

jbyers

Re: Epic Steering Wheel Removal Fail

Post by jbyers » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Well, I did get the shaft retreaded with a 5/8th die after a lot of effort. There isn't much tube thickness in places I'm sure but the nut is back on as original.........

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:50 am

By the way, for when I might ever run out of things to fix, just how do you remove the entire steering column from the gear box? Does it require taking the gear box apart.

58 CC Cavalier

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:34 pm

I feel your pain.

I am wanting to remove the steering wheel from my '56 Continental and can't seem to even get the horn button off to access the nut. I have heard that you just push in a turn, but I can't get it to budge, and am so afraid that I am going to break it. I have tried it 3 or 4 times now and each time walk away frustrated.

I want to flip the hull and understand that if I don't pull the steering box that it will leak oil on the underside of the deck, right? Also, I can't get out some of the ceiling board screws with the steering column in place.
Steve A
1956 18' Chris-Craft Continental

drrot

Post by drrot » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Here is a shot of the back of the Continental horn button if that helps.
Attachments
Sailing ship Horn buttons 004.JPG
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Take your time Steve...... I really messed mine up. I wish I had it to do over again. I wish I had some advice to you, but my limited knowledge is only for the 58 Cavalier which I am learning about the hard way...........

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks, that picture does help. I am going to steal that rubbery thing my wife uses to take jar lids off with next time I go out to the cottage and see if that helps. There is nothing to grip and it's holding on tight.
Steve A
1956 18' Chris-Craft Continental

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:03 pm

ClassOf56 wrote:Thanks, that picture does help. I am going to steal that rubbery thing my wife uses to take jar lids off with next time I go out to the cottage and see if that helps. There is nothing to grip and it's holding on tight.

Take your wife and let her fix it