Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Boat Shipping

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

offshorespars

Boat Shipping

Post by offshorespars » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:26 am

I would like to advise the new owner of my 17' Deluxe Runabout as to the best way to cover the boat for a trip of about 1200 miles over the road. The new owner is considering the on-line company U-Ship-It. I am guessing that they would use a flat bed truck to transport the boat already loaded on its trailer. The boat has a cover extending to the waterline but it is very loose and would be difficult to keep from damaging the varnish. Has anyone had experience with shrink wrapping? I would use an experienced company that shrink wraps realizing the danger of the heat from the propane gun used for the shrinking process. Any other ideas would be welcome.
Mike
1978 30' CC Sportsman
1948 22' CC Sportsman

Oberon01

Re: Boat Shipping

Post by Oberon01 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:02 am

Good Morning - I have towed a number of my boats extensively all over the US and under most circumstances, I do so uncovered. This is because of chaffing damage from the mooring cover, which is a real concern as you state. I have a bolt on screen attachment that fits on the front of the trailer to block grit and gravel, and that's about it. I stick to interstates whenever I can as they are normally cleanest and I do my best to avoid towing boats in the winter, for obvious reasons.

I had to tow my Sea Skiff 3000 miles to Florida last December and I had the front of the boat shrink-wrapped for about 5 feet from the bow. This prevented any damage and there was no impact from the shrink wrap application process. Apart from being dirty, the boat was unscathed in the trip from BC to Tavares, which included mountainous terrain in BC, Washington and Montana in winter conditions. I would prefer to avoid doing this again, I can tell you that. I only had it shrink-wrapped because it was winter - I would not bother in the spring, summer or fall.

I had a very nice two-piece travel/mooring cover made for my Barrel Back, and it completely protects the boat. However, they are fussy to install and quite costly. I have towed from BC to Texas and back and even with the two piece, there is evidence of chaffing wear on the inner soft cover over the windshields. This is best solution for someone who insists on travelling covered.

Bottom line for me is that towing them uncovered has almost never resulted in any damage to my boats, and I am talking about tens of thousands of miles in my case. Use reasoning as to the route you take and the time of year and things should be fine. Buy a screen attachment for the trailer, put the seats and cushions up front to keep them secure and protected. I see people towing boats frequently with covers on, with the covers billowing and chaffing and I shudder at what this action is doing to the gelcoat or whatever surfaces are absorbing the brunt of the wear.
1926 Mullins 16' Outboard Special
1940 CC 19'Custom
1946 Gar Wood 22' 6" Sedan
1946 16' Peterbrough Falcon
1947 CC 16' Special Runabout
1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman
1948 CC 25' Sportsman Sedan
1959 Feather Craft Islander Express Cruiser
1961 CC 21' Continental
1965 Glastron Futura 500 V -164
1965 CC Sea Skiff 24'

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:55 am

The best option would be to request they use an enclosed car trailer.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 am

Paul is right but another option is to put on the cover and shrink wrap over that if they insist on wrapping. This way the underlying cover doesnt flap around and there should be no worry about heat in putting on the shrink wrap.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

offshorespars

Post by offshorespars » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Gentlemen. Thanks for the ideas.
Mike
1978 30' CC Sportsman
1948 22' CC Sportsman

drrot

Post by drrot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:30 pm

U-Ship-it is an online bidding service. You put what you want done and people bid on it.
I hauled a Riva Ariston from Illinois to California. It only had a dust type cover. I put that cover on it and had it shrink wrapped over.
Worked perfect till I hit the California border and they wanted me to open it for inspection. I would recommend taking photos. Shrink wrapping it. More photos as it is leaving.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:53 pm

I have hauled boats all over the country for many years and never had any type of cover or wrap. Never had a problem either. Of course, enclosed trailer would be best but overkill in most cases.
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:23 am

I have had several customers that have used U-Ship to have their boats hauled. All have gone well. Check the feedback on the bidder.

offshorespars

Post by offshorespars » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:10 am

To Jim Staub's reply. The new owner is getting quotes from U-Ship-It. The plan is to use an unenclosed flatbed. Since there will be no control over the boat once it leaves my marina I have encouraged the new owner to shrink wrap over the waterline cover. That way we can load the loose cushions, cockpit cover and other loose items without fear of them becoming souviners for someone. The trip is 1200 miles so a two day trip for the flatbed.

If I was moving the boat myself I would not have it covered as others have suggested.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mike
1978 30' CC Sportsman
1948 22' CC Sportsman

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:42 pm

I have had good luck with visquine (heavy plastic from Home Depot) stretched over the boat and stapled under the trailer bunks. Duct tape works well to seal the seams. I've done this twice with absolutely no problems. The first time was a trip from NC to OR with a triple.

I have also shrunk wrap a woody for transport. I didn't like being on the business end of the torch, but with a layer of blankets over the hull the process went perfectly.

I have mostly tow without a cover and that is my preference. However distance and time of year make a difference.
1929 Hacker Craft Dolphin, 24'
1940 Century Utility, 17'
1947 Chris Craft Special, 16'
1947 Chris Craft Sportsman, 22'
1949 Chris Craft Racing Runabout, 19'
1952 Penn Yan Cartopper, 12'
1954 Chris~Craft Racing Runabout, 19' (For Sale)
1971 Century Arabian, 19'
1973 Dan Arena Custom, 21'

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 pm

No covers, but the windscreen

dcrochet

Post by dcrochet » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:17 am

:D I love our fellow boat lovers!
I have been advising the buyer of your boat on this purchase since he is new to the hobby.
I came to boat buzz to see if I could hep further and here you are.
I have told him I pulled my boats cross country several times never a cover and no issues.
I hope you sold him a nice boat, it certainly looks nice I'm envious!
Dale
1956 Sportsman CC-17-2308