Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Looking for advice on a boat lift for my 1929 Cadet

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

DennyDowning

Looking for advice on a boat lift for my 1929 Cadet

Post by DennyDowning » Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 am

Finished restoration on the 1929 Cadet three years ago. I keep her in a boathouse and lifted our of the water when not in use. My lift is a three point using the factory lift points being the two stringers under the rear seat and the bow lift ring. It works very well but I notice the bow lift point, which goes down through the keel, is pulling the bolt and keel up slightly creating a divit like area. After three years, I do cradle her in the winter, the keel around the bolt has risen 1/8 to 3/16. That is not a lot I know but the bottom planks are still straight such that it is like a little hollowed out area on that part of the keel about 4" long.

I feel that she should be supported or cradeled in the lift instead of using the three point factory lift points. This will not be that difficult to do but there are more then a few ways to create a lift. I would appreciate some feedback about using a cradle as opposed to straps. Seems straps would be easiest and not use up precious water depth; however, the factory recommends a cradle and is very specific about the location of the cradle load points.

Kinda feel like I already know the answer but I do appreciate and respect the knowledge of our members and would like some input while I am considering my many options.

I attached a few pictures....

Thanks!
Denny Downing
Attachments
1462886655970878692584.jpg
Winter cradeling
1462886505058-589306932.jpg
Bolt through bow keel
14628861449991774593406.jpg
Stern lift point
1462885992159-379388698.jpg
Bow lift point

Greg Wallace

Re: Looking for advice on a boat lift for my 1929 Cadet

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed May 11, 2016 6:11 am

A platform that can be lifted at four points with bunks attached running fore and aft supporting the hull beneath the main (engine) stringers. Additional supports at the chine would also be ideal. The goal is to replicate the support provided by a well designed trailer. Side guides to help center when lifting are desirable. That's the way its done around here anyway.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Wed May 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Been studying that method but am concerned because of the bottom profile of the boat. The stringers appear to be straight but the bottom profile varies a lot on this old girl. Also, I have the added problem of my lift points, the ceiling beams being 14' apart so the span of the bunk boards would probably be to far. The Chris Craft specifications for the winter storage weight bearing points is only 10' apart. Oh my....

I an sure think of many ways to do the job. I did a closer inspection of the keel from inside the boat. Had forgotten the joy of climbing down through the bow hatch. The original keel is old and though she does not look any worse for ware I feel bad it must support all that weight. Any comment about using the factory lift points and letting her hang from them all summer?

I took a picture of the Chris Craft specifications for winter storage load points and will include in here; Thanks to Mahogany Bay for the information. Others may find it helpful as well.
IMG_1541[1].JPG
Chris Craft Winter Storage
I have called a marine contractor to see about moving the lift points of my hoist by offsetting snatch blocks at the sea wall. This would change the load from the ceiling to the sea wall as well - not all bad I guess.
IMG_1542[1].JPG
My idea to change the front to rear lift distance
Denny

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Okay, I built the new cradle lift for the boat. Being a 1929 with a self planeing hull the center of the boat is the deepest. Thus a standard lift like used today with two bunk boards running front to rear will not work. It would be like a rocking chair. So I followed the Manufacture cradle points. Ever see that picture of a Chris Craft on top of a car. The bunks always go side to side not front to rear. Anyway enough said. Here are a few pictures of my new lift.
IMG_1715[1].JPG
Attachments
IMG_1714[1].JPG
IMG_1713[1].JPG
IMG_1712[1].JPG
IMG_1711[1].JPG

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:46 am

I would consider a third support under the engine bed.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.