Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Sunnyland, Lake Dora Boat Show

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Will you be attending the Sunnyland, Lake Dora Antique and Classic Boat Show?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 35

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Doesn't get any better than this past weekend!!!
We all put faces with names and made some new friends and talked about boats and more boats. Good to meet Al and Matt and all the others during the get together on Saturday afternoon.
Thanks to Bill, Bill and Don for a job well done at our CC tent..
A couple of shots of the perfect weekend
Pete
Knotty '48
1948 Runabout Deluxe

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:15 pm

What a great show on Lake Dora! Enjoyed meeting all of the "posters" from this site.
This was the first time I towed and ran a boat there, and it was really fine.
I commend Terry Feist and all the Sunnyland Chapter for their hard work and dedication.
Though I took a Whirlwind outboard runabout, I am really a CC cruiser guy....sad to say the gas price is going to be the final nail in the coffin for those old beauties. I love mine, and ejoy hearing from other cruiser guys. There were very few there.
Thanks to Matt Smith for all the great pix he posted here on the site. Bill Basler deserves much credit for all his hard work on behalf of the CC antique boat club, along with Wilson Wright and of course Joe Martel. I could not find a blank badge for him, but Chris Smith, oblivious to the tale, agreed to wear a Joe Martel badge to the meeting....like Terry said, we should have MADE that happen!!
Sorry the guy wrecked the flying boat! 9 flew in and 8 flew out! Guess he had the checklist from a land based plane....let's see: "gear down", well YEAH....oops.....
Thanks to all for a great time.
P.S. NEVER drive back to Va. on the sunday after spring break week, in the rain, on 95....should have stayed at the show.
Does anyone know if the helicopter guy posted any pics? He took some great ones of me running and cutting up the water at speed?????
John Rothert,
John from Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Wilson Wright

Mt. Dora/Tavares

Post by Wilson Wright » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:48 am

Agree it was a great show. Good to meet so many club members face to face. We got several good shots during the movie photo shoot. I'm not into getting them on line yet but I gave my chip to Basler so he could download it and Al Benton who was with me got more...Al is probably on the road today. Also Al got some shots when we went thru the Dora Canal and Joe Flemming got some more when we went thru it again on Sunday.

Hat's off to Terry and all those volunteers in yellow shirts for making it happen.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:21 pm

WOW!!! What a great show. It was better than words can describe. Congrat's to the Sunnyland Chapter, ACBS, Terry Fiest, his staff and the City of Tavares. Excellent!!! Thanks to Bill Basler, Bill Baldwin, Don Ayres and Matt Smith for the providing the most popular display at the show, the CCABC Tent. And a very special personal thank you to Wilson Wright and to Craig Hartwig for adding fantastic experiences to the weekend.

Here's a few photos:

Dora Canal

Dora Canal

Worship on the Water

Movie photo shoot working platform was from the forward deck of Gil Grant & Maggie Krafft's Chris Craft Cavalier. I believe the film crew was from Epoxy Films who were working on a "This Old Boat" presentation.

Gathering of classic boats for the movie photo shoot.

Pete DeVito shows me his very nicely restored 1948 17' Deluxe "Knotty '48".

Al

Terry Fiest

Tavares Show

Post by Terry Fiest » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:07 am

I appreciate all the fine compliments on the Tavares show, we took a risk and moved the event, because of all the hard work from the volunteers, we were successful. There were a few snags, but we will work on them for next year. Thanks to all for attending, Terry

jfrprops wrote:What a great show on Lake Dora! Enjoyed meeting all of the "posters" from this site.
This was the first time I towed and ran a boat there, and it was really fine.
I commend Terry Feist and all the Sunnyland Chapter for their hard work and dedication.
Though I took a Whirlwind outboard runabout, I am really a CC cruiser guy....sad to say the gas price is going to be the final nail in the coffin for those old beauties. I love mine, and ejoy hearing from other cruiser guys. There were very few there.
Thanks to Matt Smith for all the great pix he posted here on the site. Bill Basler deserves much credit for all his hard work on behalf of the CC antique boat club, along with Wilson Wright and of course Joe Martel. I could not find a blank badge for him, but Chris Smith, oblivious to the tale, agreed to wear a Joe Martel badge to the meeting....like Terry said, we should have MADE that happen!!
Sorry the guy wrecked the flying boat! 9 flew in and 8 flew out! Guess he had the checklist from a land based plane....let's see: "gear down", well YEAH....oops.....
Thanks to all for a great time.
P.S. NEVER drive back to Va. on the sunday after spring break week, in the rain, on 95....should have stayed at the show.
Does anyone know if the helicopter guy posted any pics? He took some great ones of me running and cutting up the water at speed?????
John Rothert,
John from Va.

tom king

Post by tom king » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Yikes, I haven't seen that much grey hair since I walked in to a Kmart in St. Pete. :lol: