Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Rolled

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Katanna

Rolled

Post by Katanna » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Got a little bored before work this morning and flipped it over. Only took about an hour-would have been much faster with a second set of hands. Can't wait to tackle the bottom.
Steve
flip3.JPG
flip 2.JPG
flip1.JPG

joanroy

Re: Rolled

Post by joanroy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:54 am

Congratulations on your successful one man flip. What's your bottom plan? Take your time, have fun and keep us posted!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:37 am

first class roll job! Neat....do keep us informed on the bottom job progress.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Katanna

Post by Katanna » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Bilge.jpg
It will be a 5200 bottom. Don't shoot me but I may reuse the exterior wood. I am sure I will find some needed repairs once it is apart, but to this point I can't find any rot or damaged frames from the inside. Even the joints between the frames and chines are tight. I will be sure to keep posting the progress.

Steve

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:46 pm

What issues are you experiencing with the original bottom? Excessive leaking, soft/split planks, or rot in the transom? Only a few pictures to judge by, but it looks pretty good and I would think twice about removing it. Maybe strip the paint and test several dozen fasteners before committing yourself.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

Katanna

Post by Katanna » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 pm

The boat will never be left in the water. The current bottom is original and therefore would need to soak for every use. They just were not designed to last 50+ years. All of my boating is done on big water-Lake St Clair, Detroit river and St Clair river. For safety sake, I wouldn't chanced that bottom. Replacement is really not that big of a deal. Little time consuming but worth the piece of mind of knowing what I have.
Steve