Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

recommisioning the 46ft conny

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

61seaskiff42

recommisioning the 46ft conny

Post by 61seaskiff42 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I have been thinking that having the yard recomm. the conny is probaly the best stress free coarse to take. I figure I get a piece of mind since I have at least 1019 miles to travel to pilot the conny back home.Got a few more months to decide yet and plans to finalize :D :D :D Any sugestions or opinions are appreiated. :D :D :D

Captain Nemo

Re: recommisioning the 46ft conny

Post by Captain Nemo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm

I think you're making the right decision, with the boat being that far from home. Obviously the main thing is to get her seaworthy. I don't know that their crew is willing to take the time to slick seam all the bottom. At an hourly rate might that be a good chunk of change for just that. Slapping a coat of paint on and checking things like thru-hull fittings and such is probably what is more practical.
After that the engines would be priority. What does she have for power? I would change the pump impellers if they are rubber. After that, all the hoses and belts should be replaced, and buy spares. They should get full tune-ups and oil changes of course. I always have extra tune-up kits on board too.
That's a good start, then onto the other systems, fresh water, and looking over the electrical too. This is just off the top of my head, others may chime in with more stuff.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

61seaskiff42

Post by 61seaskiff42 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:10 pm

She has 320hp pacer gm engines :D

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:44 pm

I did a quick web search on the Pacer conversions. It seems there was a time period that Pacer used both the GM 427 block and the Ford 427, same HP @320.
I had mentioned about changing the hoses which may be a little hard to come by as they are molded and rather unique to the Pacer engines. Probably looking them over real well might be the option there.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

61seaskiff42

Post by 61seaskiff42 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks for the info i believe they are the gm conversions :D :D