Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Trailering

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

WoodenRookie

Trailering

Post by WoodenRookie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:16 am

Being a fiberglass guy I am at a loss with trailering my new boat/project. Actually scares the heck out of me. So let me float a few questions out;

With the high deck center pull point where are you people securing your boats on your trailers and how?

With no transom tie down eyelets how are people securing the aft on a trailer.

When using fore & aft bunking (Standard new trailer bunks) is that with new bottom technology only? When using bunks across the beam is that original bottom technology?

thanks in advance

Bill
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

Tom Gruenauer

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Bill,
A lot of people including me tie the transom off using the strut(4 good size bolts thru the keel) . Two good rachet straps attached to the strut, there ends attached to the trailer as low as possible to prevent the boat from bouncing. if you angle them slightly (ends to the bow)it will keep the boat on the trailer if you have a winch problem. There is lot of good info on boat trailer design in "How to restore you wooden runabout 2". It shows a real nice bow strap attachment. and talks about bunk placement. Important to have them under the engine stringers as long as possible. Plus chine support also as long as you can.
Tom

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Tom, thanks for the reply, ordered the Vol. 2 over the weekend and look forward to reading. thanks for the help

Bill
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

Frank Remington

trailer tie down

Post by Frank Remington » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 pm

I read with interest vol. 2 and the picture of using the strut to tie down to the boat. But it seems to me that the picture does not show the boat actually being tied down with straps from the strut to the trailer, but that the straps simply prevent the boat from moving forward. What prevents the boat from bouncing or shifting to one side? (Other than the weight of the boat). I used to have a strap that went over the top to hold the boat in place, but with a new coat of varnish I was especially interested in this technique. It occurred to me that a strap that went over the prop. shaft might put strain on the shaft log.

NSJA

Post by NSJA » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:40 pm

Bill,

I asked similar questions here when I bought my '42 17' Deluxe. I was petrified when I learned that the previous owner had simply used the bow lifting ring to secure the boat. As you know, the lifting rings are not even designed to take lateral loads!

I devised a system, which some might consider overkill, but it gives me a lot of confidence when I trailer the boat. I run 2 heavy-duty ratchet straps around the strut and snap them down low to the rear of the trailer at each rear corner. I also run 2 of the same straps from the strut towards the front of the trailer at each corner.

The 4 straps prevent the boat from moving forwards, backwards or bouncing up and down. I would be happy to send you some photos if you send me a PM.

NSJA

NSJA

Post by NSJA » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:31 am

I haven't forgotten about the pictures...

I should be near the boat tomorrow; I will be in touch.

NSJA

drrot

Post by drrot » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Here is a shot of my U-22. Have trailered it over 25000 miles like this. Cover gets Bunji corded down, extra high front strap to lift ring, Rear strap from end of trailer around strut to other end of trailer. Has soft springs and radial tires.

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks Jim, do you pull it tight around the strut?? I see the winch strap off do you secure the bow against the nose of the trailer?
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

drrot

Post by drrot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:28 pm

I launch the trailer and use the winch strap to pull the boat up to the V-block. Then I loosen the front strap about a foot and pull the boat out. When It comes out the bow goes 4-6" back. Next I cover the boat. Then I drive sorta slow and slam on the brakes so the boat slides forward and pinches the cover between the boat and the trailer V-block. I tighten the front winch strap, bunji the cover to the trailer and use a 2" ratchet strap fairly tight around the strut. When I get to where I am going i loosen both straps.

NSJA

Post by NSJA » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Bill & Frank,

I was able to get some photos of the tow strap arrangement that I am using today. As I said, some may consider this to be overkill, but, I can hit a construction bump on I80 at 55mph with complete confidence with this setup.

I still attach the winch strap to the lifting ring at the bow, snugly, but not tight enough to put any lateral load on the ring. The state troopers in CA have been known to pull people over if the winch strap is not connected, because they cannot see the tow straps that are actually doing the job.

Best,

Neil