Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

How many people don't keep their boats in salt water?

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Horstuff

How many people don't keep their boats in salt water?

Post by Horstuff » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm about to pull her from her covered salt water slip and do repairs for about a year, but I'm wondering... is it common to pull these at the end of every season and then relaunch every year? It's 27' with a 94" beam, so it is trailerable.

Maybe my money would be best spent getting a proper trailer for her and then pull her every year and relaunch the next, instead of paying covered moorage fees all winter when I can't even use her.

It's always seemed scary to me to relaunch after being out for awhile... I remember what I went through launching her after 6 months out and it kinda sucked. Worrying about bilge pumps and whatnot for a week.

Thoughts?

Bobby
1948 27' Super DeLuxe Enclosed Cruiser

Peter M Jardine

Re: How many people don't keep their boats in salt water?

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm on the Great Lakes, Ontario to be exact, and we pull every year. The boat is launched by crane with slings in April, and pulled in October. Winterizing of engines and plumbing should be done by the end of October or so. As to moisture content, the winter period doesn't dry the boat out completely, and Vanora doesn't run more than one bilge pump on launch. She's been on the hard for two years, so launch will be different next spring :wink:

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:45 am

Most boats here in the Northeast (Maine Coast to be exact) get pulled and launched every year, even in the salt water.

Like Peter says, one winter should not be much of a problem, however if you keep it in heated storage without humidity control you could run into trouble. It seems the best storage on land for a wooden boat is unheated with a gravel/stone floor.

When the 21' Continental was On The Hard for over a decade she would swell and dry with the humidity in the air, and swelled fast at re-launch. :D
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 pm

On the Great Lakes most of hual in the fall and launch in the spring. A few bubble over the winter. But, there is no salt in the Great Lakes!
Jim Evans

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:43 am

Heck no, Never pull her for more than a few days here on the salty Chesapeake. Woodboats love salt water....and all the metal parts get eaten up....trade offs......plus we have ship worms to contend with in season.
I go cruising every week of the year, including today I hope.....se she stays in the covered slip with the boatsafe heater on in the engine compartment and we rock on.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)