Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Full Sunbrella or covered slip?

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Horstuff

Full Sunbrella or covered slip?

Post by Horstuff » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:25 pm

My current marina is getting way too proud of thier covered slips... I'm thinking about moving to a different marina, open slip. I do have a full custom two piece Sunbrella cover that the previous owner had made for the boat. I've never actually used it. Boat is a 1948 27' Super Deluxe Enclosed.

I know a covered slip is the ultimate, but would a Sunbrella cover do the same job as far as keeping out moisture, UV etc, and still allow the boat to breath?

Bobby
1948 27' Super DeLuxe Enclosed Cruiser

Captain Nemo

Re: Full Sunbrella or covered slip?

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Bobby,
Several years ago I had a full two piece mooring cover made for my 28' sedan cruiser. I had it made in the oyster color (grayish-white) to reflect the sun to reduce heat buildup under the cover. I have been quite happy w/ it, other than it being somewhat of a pain to take on and off.
Sunbrella is water repellant, not waterproof. It does breathe very well so, it allows moisture to get out easily. Having said that, I think a covered slip is the best solution :) .
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:21 pm

What is the difference in price from covered slip to uncovered??

Sunbrella makes all kinds of fantastic materials to protect the boat
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:37 pm

Since you already have the Sunbrella cover I suspect it will work just fine.

If you were asking about having it made I would suggest a cost analysis taking into consideration how long it will last, but darn you already have it so it sounds good to me. 8)
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Bobby. If I remember, You live in Carnation and your boat is moored in Gig Harbor.
Have you thought about a dry storage marina in the Everett/Edmonds area, a lot closer. I am sure you have passed by Dagmar's on I-5, excellent prices and they can get your boat in/out of the water with a phone call.
Bellingham has lower prices and have a few moorages open. There are house boats available in Blaine/Bellingham for sub let, especially during the summer as boats have gone north.

Just looking in Blaine....you can BUY your own moorage for less than you are paying now, and be in the most prime boating area in the country.

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks, all. Doug... The only issue I have with that is my preferred stomping grounds are south sound, near Gig Harbor. Where I'm thinking of moving is Lakebay Marina, new owners and they're really sprucing it up. The cost would be half of what I'm paying for covered in GH... 220 per month as opposed to 440. Not looking forward to dealing with taking the cover on and off, but realistically, for how infrequently I get down three, it's not that big a deal. I just want to make sure the Sunbrella will protect and preserve the boat as well as my GH covered slip does.

Bobby

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Just as long as its vented....and maybe that drying agent (Dry EEZ?) during the winter.

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:23 am

I kept my U-22 in the water with a Sunbrella cover till I went boating on Lake Minnetonka and seen the Tent style boat houses popular there. I talked the marina owner in to letting me install one. Saved the boat a ton. Freshening up the varnish went from an annual expense to every 3-5 years. Not having the rain and sun in direct contact makes a world of difference. Also you can go work on the boat in poor weather days.
My vote is for covered slip.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Jim,

I thought the Sunbrella would keep the rain and sun off of everything except the painted hull. Are you saying the topsides would still get wet and the UV would still harm the varnish?

Bobby

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Yes, The weather gets through. Spent $1200 on the "boathouse tent" but saved more than that every year on maintenance.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Well, crap. That's 3 and a half Yay, 1 and a half Nay. I told myself that if I got 10 responses and two of them were negative, I'd go with the Yays. Not quite there yet, but not looking favorable for moving and saving the $200 per month :| Don't know quite else how to make this decision, since I'm still a newbie due to the lack of time I have to spend on the boat, and also due to the fact that y'all are way more smarter about this stuff than I am.

Bobby

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:43 pm

There are other factors to take into consideration. :?

How do you use and intend to keep up this boat. I care for my Mom's '57 Continental as a good user boat. She sits on a mooring (the boat not my Mom) all summer long with a Sunbrella cover on it and there is no need for annual varnish. If you want to keep it in "Show" condition this may not be satisfactory.
mOD0831131548.jpg
"Yorktown"
Being in Maine, as you are in the PNW, the sun may not be as intense as it is for those who live further south.

I like the idea of a "Houseboat Tent" but have never seen one. Any pix out there? Sounds 8) !
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Actually. I think Bobby is trying to protect against mildew....our state flower

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Doug... good point. My boat is pretty much a user, the varnish is past it's optimal time to be done. It will never be a show boat, only because I don't want it to be / can't afford to make it that (same thing :lol: ). And, up here in the Pacific NW, mildew / mold is a bigger deal than elsewhere I guess. The sun can get pretty brutal at times, but not as bad as elsewhere.

Snow... that's also a bit of a worry, even though we don't get it very often or that much of it, and I could always call the dock manager and have him knock the big stuff off with a broom (he'll probably be doing that for others as well anyway).

It may sound like I'm trying to talk myself into the open slip being ok, and to some degree I am because of the 200 per month savings, but I still want straight shootin advice on the subject. Even if it's 200 per month cheaper, I won't do anything that exacerbates the deterioration of the boat/finish/interior more than say, 20% worse over having it in a covered slip. I don't get down there often enough to keep up with any more work than that.

Bobby

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Bobby, I've had several years of non covered boats (Except winter).
I used a poly based uv polish/wax and that seemed to protect varnish.