Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Paragon Transmission info source

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

island time

Paragon Transmission info source

Post by island time » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:56 am

Hi all.
A while back I reached out to two sources of Paragon information, Marine Gears and Great Lakes Power looking for information about my P-31 transmission in the 23 Commander.
I found these links posted at the Commander Forum and sent emails to both. One did not reply, the other did but were very short with their reply. I sent another email which they did not reply to.
In their reply they mentioned that my V-Drive was not rotation specific but the transmission is.
This didn't sink in until a day or two ago when I realized that since the engine had been changed in the boat and was replaced with a standard rotation automotive engine that now my transmission is turning backwards.
First, now since neither of the links I tried previously work I would like to know another source for transmission info but also would like to know if anyone has had first hand experience with the situation I have here and if there truly is a problem with the transmission turning backwards.
I don't know how long it's been run that way but I get the impression it's been that way for some time so naturally I have questions about the condition of the transmission.
Since I'm going to replace the engine anyway I will have the option to order a reverse rotation which solves the current problem but this also adds to the cost of the replacement because now I will have to also purchase a new prop.
Looking forward to all discussion on this subject.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

jfrprops

Re: Paragon Transmission info source

Post by jfrprops » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Craig,

I am more familiar with the HF-7 series which preceded the P-31...but I would bet that you can certainly reverse the paragon unit???

Manuals on web....

John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

island time

Re: Paragon Transmission info source

Post by island time » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks John, I will poke around online to see if I can gain some insight.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander