Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1960 36' Connie History

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

whamm511

1960 36' Connie History

Post by whamm511 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm looking for information on the ownership of my 36' 1960 Connie, hull # CXA 184 H which I am restoring. According to my hull card it was originally delivered to Staff Jennings dealership in Portland, Oregon. At some point it was moved to the Seattle area and had been on Lake Union for about 15 years or so when I bought it in 2010. It was named "ALLMIS" when I brought it back to Michigan. I don't know how many previous owners there were but I know there were at least 2 in the Seattle area and I have their names and a survey from '91 that was done for ins. at the time of purchase then. I'd like to know any history that anyone may have. It is/was highly recognizable because it has a custom all mahogany enclosed wheelhouse on what was originally an Express. The roof was extended about 18" and made with teak decking which at some point was glassed over and painted to match the rest of the hardtop. I'm hoping some of you members in the Seattle or Portland areas may remember her or otherwise know something of her history.

Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie 'Mental Pause'

ballison41

Post by ballison41 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:01 am

Hi Bill,
I am up in the Seattle area but haven't been around long enough to know of your boat. The only suggestion I can make is to contact the local chapter of the ACBS up here and see if is they might be able to shine a light on the history of your boat. I am fairly confident that someone would know something as one of the biggest events up here each year is the Chris Craft Rendezvous in Port Orchard. It is open to all types of CC but in this part of the world the cruisers dominate the vintage boat world. I would bet if your boat spent any length of time around here that it made it to the Rendezvous a few times. Here is a link to the website.
http://www.chriscraftrendezvous.com/
If you already know all of this, I apologize for stating the obvious. Best of luck.

ballison41

Post by ballison41 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 am

One other thought Bill would be to get in touch with Jensen Motor Boat. They are one of the best, if not the best in town and may know something. They have been around since the beginning of time.....might be worth a try if you are still drawing a blank.

http://www.jensenmotorboat.com/

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks so much. I will try both of those suggestions. I've also been told that Staff Jennings is still business in Portland so I'll try and work it from both ends.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... at_id=1708