Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Plastic Steering Wheel Repair

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

U22584

Plastic Steering Wheel Repair

Post by U22584 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:42 am

After searching on the internet and Utube ways to fix the cracks in my 1947 U22 plastic steering, I ran across an epoxy putty mfg by POR-15. Never heard of this mfg. Has anyone had any experience with this product to fix cracks.

Also I have used Krylon brand paint especially made for plastic with good success but for other projects. Has anyone used this for steering wheels or do you have any other product to paint the wheel.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Dennis Hansen

jbyers

Re: Plastic Steering Wheel Repair

Post by jbyers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:09 am

I'll have to check. I think that is what I used on my 58 cavalier steering wheel. I found it a little too thick to work with well and hard to clean up the material that gets out past the cracks. It was difficult to sand well. Appears like it bonds exceptionally well which is good. If I was to do it over again, I would try to be more patient as I go along so as not to leave as much to sand off once it dries. Also, if you can take the wheel off to work on it would be a great help. Mine would not come off, so I had to work on it in the installed position............

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:56 pm

I've used POR paint and engine enamel. Excellent products! Much more durable than the rattle can stuff. I have not used their epoxy fillers, but if it's as good as the paint, which I'm sure it probably is, I'd recommend it.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:01 am

POR... Have used for wheels with great success