Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Posts being overtaken

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

mbigpops

Posts being overtaken

Post by mbigpops » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 am

As I read several recent posts I am seeing cases of them being overtaken by someone else who might start by saying "sorry to hear that but here is my problem" or "I have a similar issue and here it is ...."

I am not sure of the role of the topic Moderator but I would think that in these circumstances they would step in and kindly remind the offender that the original poster (OP) is hoping to hear resolution on his or her issue and that they are welcome to start a new topic relating to their problem.

I do understand that once the OP gets the feedback that they were expecting then the topic is fair game.

We as other members could step in but that can lead to animosity between members.

This may just be a result of an influx of new members who simply don't realize what they are doing.

Let me know what you think.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

bflaherty

Re: Posts being overtaken

Post by bflaherty » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 am

I have noticed this trend as well... It is not limited to this forum, I been noticing the same behavior on other forums as well. I think it really fair game for members to, kindly, recommend that the offender move their question to a new thread. The moderator should really only get involved if the offender does not follow the recommendation, or post become aggressive.

For the most part I believe we are all adults here and can use a little common decency and respect one another.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Its true, that topics do tend to wander a bit sometimes, and I'm sure I've been guilty of rambling off myself, but the majority of the times this happens there's no intent to take over a post. For example if I post "Engine Won't Start" this topic could go off into all kinds of directions with all kinds of different answers based on an individual's own experience. You'd want to hear lots of examples of how and why an engine won't start. On the other hand, if I'm the original poster and someone started talking about upholstery I'd suggest they switch topics and refresh my post with "Engine Still Won't Start".

The Buzz is a hugely valuable resource about anything and everything Chris Craft. Its certainly helped me be a better and smarter caretaker of my old cruiser. I've avoided making a lot of costly and stupid mistakes over the years by having access to the wealth of experience and knowledge provided here. The Buzz isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Happy Boating!

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Joanroy, you are spot on! This is why I think it would be up to the OP to recommend someone move their sub-discussion to a new thread. Sometimes things can seem a little off topic to someone just entering the thread but if you read from the beginning it may all tie together...

I think the original complaint here was more about situations like your upholstery example where someone might see something in a posted picture that is completely off topic and starts asking questions about it.

I definitely agree that the Buzz is extremely valuable and should not be moderated any more than it already is.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:18 pm

I agree with joanroy as well, but would like to make the point that novices like me learn a lot from whatever gets posted and answered, even if it wanders a bit. That is not to say that the topic should be fair game to highjack as in the upholstery example. I just enjoy reading most everything I can even if it's not relevant to my boat knowing/hoping that at some point in the future I may be able to upgrade to a better model than what I have now.