Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Lack of Posts

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Dale Harris

Lack of Posts

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:26 pm

:( Just checked in and saw a strange lack of posts. Is anyone working on their boats?? My wife is keeping me busy and it seems she is trying to keep me away from my shop and my 15 hour workdays are making it tough!
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:48 pm

Dale:

I have noticed it too. Personally this is a very busy time for me, not only with the holidays, but tlaking care of all of the other end of the year stuff I love :x like tax prep, and so on.

I have been posting a few from the Memberclicks archive when I have time. I have also noticed this lack of activity in similar periods over the years. Let's hope it corrects itself soon.

It has been one of the more hellish Decembers we've had in Iowa for awhile. Cold and snowy with more than 15 inches on the ground now. I need some of you to talk about wooden boats so I can dream that it's 83 and sunny.
Bill Basler

John McConnell

Tis the Season

Post by John McConnell » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:14 am

Bill I agree with you about the Christmas season being busy. I am experiencing "with draw" due to lack of boat visitation. We haven't seen the boat since the week before Thanksgiving. I am anxiously looking forward to a New Years weekend on the boat and off the streets.

Bill I feel your pain regarding the weather in Iowa. It is going to 70 degrees here in Dallas today.

On another note, I am a little late but Thank You! Bill for the time you spent in converting our Boat Buz format. Hats off to you.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year.
John McConnell
'67, 40' Connie
Kokopelli

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:24 am

Thank you John for the very nice comments. I will say that most of the other members share your enthusiasm for the new format. That is not to say we haven't been taking a few lumps here and there from others. I invite you all to share comments on Boat Buzz. It will help me keep my head on straight.

I know that I share the same position as Wilson in saying the Club belongs to all of you. It is kind of a big lump of clay molded by all of you as you give us your thoughts. Nothing is carved in stone. But, given the human resources involved, ideas always come down to someone taking the time to implement them and putting together a budget to do so.

Hopefully we all get cool new boat presents for the holidays that we can brag to everyone about. I, for one, asked my wife for a gas cap. We'll see if I've been a good boy this year.

Happy holidays to all.
Bill Basler

Jay Armstrong

Post by Jay Armstrong » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:09 pm

Hello everybody.
Some years back the old List Bot was a very active group that changed due to understandable necessity. When we went to memberclicks, I feel we lost a certain number of participants with the transition but again these things can occur with change.

Now here we are in Boat Buzz. I for one had a heck of a time getting on to retriving this forum for after all, it took a little more to set up access to it than the prior venues did. Suddenly I had to think again and that sometimes causes me discomfort, but in the end I missed our forum and got busy, called on Wilson because I couldn't remember the password and got the favorite place marked for easy access. Now all I have to do is remember to open it to see what has been going on which I am now doing.

I have been a fair contributor in the past venues, passing on what knowlege I have regarding things of a gear nature and learning a bunch of which I know little, wood and finish. So, since things are a little slow right now in the Buzz, I thought this communication might be welcome and perhaps stimulating to others.

Before I go, some boat facts. I still own the Sea Skiff 35 FB Sedan enjoying and continuing to work on that labor of love each summer. We're going thru the main salon a section at a time, stripping the old original varnish and stain and refinishing in Chris Craft red stain and Epiphanes high gloss and its looking really good I must say.

This past summer, the 55 Holiday got its new 5200 bottom and I cant tell you how much better the boat performs and how nice it is to have absolutely no leaks. I will be pulling the 283 this weekend to begin freshening that engine which is getting a little weak on the compression although still running well.

Thats it for now. Everybody have a great fun year on the water (and in the garage getting ready for launch).
Jay Armstrong Omaha
1969 Sea Skiff 35 flybridge Sedan home ported Grand Island, New York
1955 Holiday 18 with 283 repower, home ported Omaha, Nebraska

davidmicc

Help

Post by davidmicc » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:36 pm

Since there is a lack of posts I can use a lot of help; Some one is working on my 1964 Seak Skiff 28'. There are no engines in the boat they were stolen. Hull is solid so here is what needs to be done.

1. Purchased 2 new Crusader V-8 with transmissions wiring harness et al. Any thing I need to know about putting these in would be helpful.

2. Needs new top decking. We are looking for Mahagany strips and would like to see if any one else has done this. Strips on the front and back and the sides would be solid board like photo.

3. New Transom needs to be installed. Again thickeness Type of wood?

4. Does any one have a really good picture of a resotored 28' twin engine same boat to look at .
Thanks

stefan

1966 22' Cutless Dory

Post by stefan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:49 am

Hello: I'm new and just posted a couple questions in Hull Construction. I'm not certain where to yell for help so I thought I might repeat my questions here. I am restoring the old Dory which has a pretty solid hull and a re-built 283 with very low hours. Where do I find plans or drawings for the original style center console with attached front seat. The old one may not be original and is too far gone anyway. Also: what were the original gauges issued with this 1966 boat. I was given a set with the deal but I don't know if they were for the Dory or not. I have a big Tack, two (2) tempp gauges and an amp/oil pressure dial. It seems there is hole through the keelplank of the hull for what might be a speedo and maybe a sounder. Looks old. I'll be checking this site and continuing my project with hopes of getting on the water by June. I know epoxy is a four letter word in these parts but I have committed to using a product called Abatron (Wodd Resoration) on the inside of the hull. I've used it a lot for home window repair etc. and like it because unlike the West system it is reversible if necessary (with paint stripper.) It sets up softer but is still totally workable (shaping, drilling etc.) It is a two (2) part liquid wood consolidator which is followed by a two (2) part putty which I thinned a little with the liquid consolidator for east trowelling on wood that had lost some of it's top ply layers. I know about the danger of this product cracking and making things dangerous with respect to trapped water. Most smooth board areas won't apply to that and I will keep a close eye areas where I used thid system to beef up strake and plank joints. Anyway, I'll be checking this great site often. Thanks, Stefan Schmidt