Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Suggestion

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Rich Nispiros

Suggestion

Post by Rich Nispiros » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:54 pm

Bill, for future enhancement. What would be cool is to be able to search/sort the member list by State, rather than just location as it sorts by first location charchter.
Regards,

Rich Nispiros
'Serenity' 1963 30' Connie

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:13 pm

Rich: I agree. The problem is the "Location" field on the member profile form is fairly wide open. Some of yu are entering City, ST. Some are just entering ST. And since it is not a required field, some are not entering anything at all. The only way I could do this would be to divide the location filed into two sections, one for city and one for ST. I would then have to make one or both a required field. Good suggestion. I'll put it in the pile to be considered.
Bill Basler

Rich Nispiros

Further suggestions

Post by Rich Nispiros » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:30 pm

Bill, first off, very good site. Easy to navigate and figure out. Excellent job!

I agree on the seperation of the location area if it proves of any interest to other site members.

Along the same line, optional profile fields for members to add in the boat(s) and vintage would also for swift searchs which might just spawn off usergroups as folks come across other folks with similar models or focus interests.

I did try to add an avatar based on the criteria and it does not seem to display properly.

Any consideraton to include at some time a listing of craftsman, services and suppliers for our favorite hobby? I can see the supplier references potentially buried in threads.

References to online manuals would be great as well.

Anyway, please consider my suggestions as excitement that you've set up this site soooo well. Again, excellent work! 8)
Regards,

Rich Nispiros

john walton

Post by john walton » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:38 pm

Bill,

I'm real impressed with the new forum; I like the format.
A perplexing problem on my end(?)---I'm having a very hard time reading the posts. The font seems to be small and/or the contrast between print and background is not pronounced. Can I alter setups on my end to change this?

Thanks,

John Walton

Rich Nispiros

Post by Rich Nispiros » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi john! I had the same issue. Assuming you're using Internet Explorer, go to view, text size and pick something bigger than small. This should increase the text size without you having to change screen resolution or anything like get a way larger monitor... 8)

Just kidding. Text size should cover your problem.
Regards,

Rich Nispiros

Tom Surface

A little help needed for AOL users

Post by Tom Surface » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:02 pm

Bill,

Using AOL on my end and I have an interesting problem, just the oposite of John Walton and others. The text size is VERY large. I get 3 or four lines on the entire screen and many of them are overlaping each other. I opened internet explorer and changed the font size and it didn't alter the AOL font. Nothing in AOL that I have found gives me an option to change font size except emails and instant messaging. Anybody out there know what to do on my end to make this usable.
Regards, Tom Surface
Tom Surface
1956 Chris Craft
Custom Runabout
"JACK the BEAR"
D17-1075, KLC

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:16 pm

Tom, I have had one other AOL user with the same problem. See a couple of suggestions below. I forwarded him this same note and it seems to have taken care of his problem. I have to admit that I have not been on AOL for quite some time. One of these suggestions should work for you.

Change Text Size in AOL
Under 'My AOL' in the AOL Toolbar, select Preferences. Then click on the WWW icon in the scrolling list on the left. On the right, click on Advanced Settings. A dialog box will appear with a collection of controls on the right and a column of options on the left. Select the Browser Display option on the left. You can set the Text Size to 'Large' or 'Largest' for more comfortable reading. Click the OK button in the Advanced Settings dialog box and then click the OK button in the Preferences dialog box to make your new settings take effect.

Also:
For America Online, open Microsoft Internet Explorer separately by clicking on the Start menu button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen, go up to Programs with your cursor and over to Internet Explorer (look for the round, blue ‘e’) and click on it. Click on View in the tool bar at the top of the page, select Text Size from the drop down menu, and choose the size you prefer.Then close Internet Explorer and reopen your AOL browser.
Bill Basler

Tom Surface

Oversized Font in AOL

Post by Tom Surface » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:21 pm

Bill,
I think I have cured the problem. Upon opening the site this time everything was normal. No overlaping, etc. I had earlier gone to Internet Explorer and done what was suggested without change. Not realizing I had to reboot to get the changes to take effect. I rebooted for other reasons a while ago and the changes took effect. The font had been set to the largest option. It is now set to Normal. Unsure why it didn't effect other web-sites but I won't argue with success. Thanks for a great forum.
Tom Surface
1956 Chris Craft
Custom Runabout
"JACK the BEAR"
D17-1075, KLC

Matt Montag

Post by Matt Montag » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:11 pm

Hello all, I have fixed our font size issues.

The problems were due to Internet Explorer's unusual way of scaling text sizes combined with an unusual style definition in our current template.

Text size in Internet Explorer can be customized in the View > Text Size menu. If you had selected anything besides Medium, the forum was probably unreadable. I have corrected the template, and you are now free to use alternate font sizes in Internet Explorer. :D

Patti Smith

Display

Post by Patti Smith » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:15 pm

I have had absolutely NO problems using mozilla/Firefox

(Just for the record)
1941 Chris Craft dlx. runabout
Hull: 57365
Engine:25955 (orig)

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks Patti. My experience with Firefox is that it is a Very good browser all the way around across all platforms.
Bill Basler

Dale Harris

Browser Text display problems

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:30 am

Bill, I just wanted to let you know that everything appears fine using Safari and the Mac version of Opera. No problems whatsoever.
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"