Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Inherited..........1964 Super Sport

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

teacher

Inherited..........1964 Super Sport

Post by teacher » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi, my name's Dave and .......anyway.....
my wife is just now inheriting her dads 1964 Chris Craft Super Sport 18' with 327 c.i. Corvette engine (?) or so he says. It has a legit 197 original hours on it !!! HE bought it new, it's been in his climate controlled garage and hasn't been started in about 40+ years. He was an avid water ski junky, then lost interest and the boat has sat. He's a hoarder, he's got EVERYTHING he ever bought.
So, why am I posting here? I need to know what ALL to do to get it started and running again. Obviously, drain all the gas, new plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap.......what else? Tranny need pulled and rebuilt? Engine need new valve springs, maybe guides before starting it up? Last thing I want to do is ruin something on this near perfect classic.
The boat is located in Warren, Ohio right now, but we are going to get it next week and bring it down to it's new home in beautiful Smithfield, NC.
Anyone live close enough to help with any of this? Any advice? Anything, anyone ? :lol:

Thanks !!!!!!!
Currently own.......
1964 Chris Craft Super Sport 327ci ( father in law bought new ! Inherited. )
1980 Arrow Glass Barracuda 16 1/2' ( father in law bought new ! Inherited. )
1998 Stingray 220CX Cuddy Cabin 350 MAG 300hp
2009 Avon 310 LITE RIB w/2009 Mercury 9.9

drrot

Re: Inherited..........1964 Super Sport

Post by drrot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:42 am

If it were mine I'd pull the spark plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder. Then turn it over by hand. Change the oil and trans fluid. Change the water pump impeller if rubber. Change the fuel filter if it has one. Disconnect the fuel line and feed it from a remote can. Turn it over by hand some more. Install new tune up parts and try to run it.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:31 am

I am with Jim.

Pull the plugs and I would use Marvel Mystery Oil in every cylinder before you even try to tern it over by hand. Let it set in there a couple of days also, maybe even reapply a couple of times over a week.

I also suspect you will need to rebuild the carb.

Should be a real fun boat. :D
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

teacher

Post by teacher » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:03 am

How do these old engines run on todays crap fuel? My wife is also inheriting a 1969 Corvette and I've read that there are "things" to do to make it run better on todays fuel? Any advice on that issue? Again, it has a 327 Vette engine in it, or so the father in law says !!!
Currently own.......
1964 Chris Craft Super Sport 327ci ( father in law bought new ! Inherited. )
1980 Arrow Glass Barracuda 16 1/2' ( father in law bought new ! Inherited. )
1998 Stingray 220CX Cuddy Cabin 350 MAG 300hp
2009 Avon 310 LITE RIB w/2009 Mercury 9.9

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:47 am

You are going to want to clean the fuel tank if possible. Today's fuel will dissolve the 50 years of varnish in the tank and gum up your carb with it.

I would suggest a carb rebuild with an ethanol friendly kit. Chances are it needs it anyway, if not, ethanol will probably destroy the rubber in the accelerator pump pretty quickly. I would also rebuilt the fuel pump with an ethanol friendly diaphragm. Again, the old one probably needs replacing anyway and it won't cost much.

It is a tough call if 100% originality is important, but I would also add a spin on style fuel filter somewhere between the tank and freshly rebuilt carb.

New battery.

That plus what was mentioned by others above.

Also, I would try to fill the carb bowl with fuel before starting. It will save a lot if wear on the starter trying to prime the fuel system all the way from the tank by turning the entire engine over just to power the mechanical fuel pump.

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:56 am

Forgot a few things...

First, to answer you question, do the above and it should run fine on modern fuel. The Chris Craft 327 is built off the Chevy block but you will see that it is a marine engine and is setup somewhat differently than the Corvette version. The good news is most parts will be readily available for many years to come because there were so many SBC's made for both auto and marine use.

Also, for both the car and the boat, today's oil does not contain sufficient zinc levels. Make sure you get a specialty oil with the right level of zinc for a flat tappet cam, or use an additive. The zinc was quietly removed from oil because it destroys catalytic converters, but without it older engines will see accelerated wear, and a lot of people are not aware of this.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:40 pm

mfine wrote:Forgot a few things...

First, to answer you question, do the above and it should run fine on modern fuel. The Chris Craft 327 is built off the Chevy block but you will see that it is a marine engine and is setup somewhat differently than the Corvette version. The good news is most parts will be readily available for many years to come because there were so many SBC's made for both auto and marine use.

Also, for both the car and the boat, today's oil does not contain sufficient zinc levels. Make sure you get a specialty oil with the right level of zinc for a flat tappet cam, or use an additive. The zinc was quietly removed from oil because it destroys catalytic converters, but without it older engines will see accelerated wear, and a lot of people are not aware of this.
mfine:

Interesting info. I have heard about special zinc oils for some really old cars but did not know it was so critical for this age engine. Is it fair to assume it would also effect flat head engines (MCL's and WBR's). I have read that these flat heads should be run on non-detergent oils since they don't have filters. Is there a particular oil additive that you like for the zinc issue?

Thanks

Troy
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 pm

My understanding is that the deciding factor is flat tappet vs roller cams. The flat tappet cams need the zinc (ZDDP) especially durring break in but benefit from it throughout the engine life. Roller cams were introduced on the SBC around 1987 or so and do not have as much friction, and don't require nearly as much zinc. Very few of our boats will have roller cams without the owner knowing.

I can't tell you one additive is better than any other, it is a basic chemical, not anything proprietary or complex so I wouldn't expect much difference. In addition to additive there are specialty oils with the correct zinc levels already in them, for example "racing oil".

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I use She'll Rotella D, yes the one made for diesels. It is a heavy duty oil with the Zinc and other minerals still in it and readily available.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member