Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

What other forum....

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

teacher

What other forum....

Post by teacher » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:04 am

Am I allowed to ask that? Which other wooden boat forum do you guys suggest that has more members? Someone on here wrote me when I first joined and told me about another forum but I can't locate the e-mail. It has a $50.00 membership fee as I recall.
If you need to answer this thru email that's fine too.
Thanks.
Currently own.......
1964 Chris Craft Super Sport 327ci ( father in law bought new ! Inherited. )
1980 Arrow Glass Barracuda 16 1/2' ( father in law bought new ! Inherited. )
1998 Stingray 220CX Cuddy Cabin 350 MAG 300hp
2009 Avon 310 LITE RIB w/2009 Mercury 9.9

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Re: What other forum....

Post by Don Vogt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:42 pm

not sure what they were thinking, teacher? Woodyboater.com has a great blog that allows for interaction and it is free. It primarily relates to the article of the day. There is also the antique and classic boat society, but they dont have anything like our ccabc club Boat Buzz. I think, if you dont mind the immodesty, we are the best show in town in terms of having the ability to have discussions on practically any topic related to boats you could imagine.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Agreed, they must have been talking about WoodyBoater. There is NO other forum even close to this for CC discussion.

Bobby
1948 27' Super DeLuxe Enclosed Cruiser

teacher

Post by teacher » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 am

They weren't at all suggesting the sight was better than here, not at all. They were just trying to help me find someone local so as to have this CC looked at and know first hand what I'm dealing with as far as getting her wet. I don't want to risk any oversight on my part that someone with experience would see in person. You guys are GREAT and I'll learn all I need to learn here, I just want someone to look at this boat and possibly help with getting the wood soaked, wet, swollen, whatever it's called to be able to launch her, AFTER all the mechanincs are perfect and ready for launch. I've got a list of everything you guys told me to do mechanically but I still want a knowing eye to see the wood and guide that process. I know it's not rocket science, but this boat is very special to my wife and I and I don't want to take a chance on hurting it or ruining anything on it. I'm probably being over protective of it, but it's the only 49 year old CC that I have to play with.
The "water plugs" are in a little brownish looking bag, hanging off the carb. So they've been out these past 40 years it's been in the heated garage. I'm going to try ordering all the parts I need from the suggestions you guys made and get started on it as soon as they arrive.
That's where a local could come in handy, telling me if I need to replace fuel line/hose, where the impeller is located, you know, stuff I don't readily have prior knowledge of.
Being replaced:
oil/filter
tranny oil/filter
points/ plugs/ plug wires/ rotor cap/ condenser/ belt/ hose/ impeller/
fuel lines?
bilge pump
carb rebuilt with ethanol friendly parts ( gotta find manufacturer of carb and where to get rebuild parts kit )
Currently own.......

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:08 am

Teacher;

There is an incredible network of people on this forum who can either directly help you or connect you to a very local person.

i have not see all your posts but the best thing to do is state where you are and post a message for local help.

Also, I'm going to move your topics into the right subject matter threads.

You should not use the "Using Boat Buzz" for general topics or conversation.

Don't worry, there will be a "shadow" of your post let so that others can still see it.

But moving forward please post under the most correct topic

Thanks

Don
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 am

I think we recognize you werent suggesting a better site. Not a problem. If this is the kind of information you are seeking, I would suggest you contact the local chapter of the acbs where you live. There will be lots of people in the chapter who can share their experiences, and also give you the names of reliable mechanics, etc. in your area if you need professional help. If you are not familiar with acbs, go to their web site, acbs.org, and check out the nearest chapter. You will find people only to happy to help you get things going with the boat. Good luck.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:25 am

I see Don A. made some excellent suggestions, too. Either way you will find lots of people to help get you started properly.

teacher

Post by teacher » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 am

This is what I see.....I can come here with ANY and EVERY problem/situation/question that arises that I can describe and get a direction and answer from you guys that will be spot on.
I can't come here with stuff that's wrong with the boat that I don't realize is wrong with the boat.....know what I mean? That's all I want a local for, to "see" what needs done that isn't obvious to me. Me thinks me may be over thinking all this ???
Thanks again, ALOT !!! And sorry about not posting in correct areas, I'll spend more time figuring out where to post stuff. Apologies.
Currently own.......

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:59 am

you still did not say where the boat/you are located.... :cry:
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 am

Understood.

The boat buzz in generally organized by major boat components, such as hull, engine, electrical, etc. also the odds and ends for misc. inquiries. Using the best category helps ensure you are getting to those who are in the best position to offer advice,etc. good luck.

teacher

Post by teacher » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:58 am

Im sorry, I'm in Smithfield, NC, yes, beautiful Smithfield NC these last 6 years !!! Originally from Ohio.

WE LOVE IT HERE !!!!!!!
Currently own.......

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 pm

teacher wrote:This is what I see.....I can come here with ANY and EVERY problem/situation/question that arises that I can describe and get a direction and answer from you guys that will be spot on.
I can't come here with stuff that's wrong with the boat that I don't realize is wrong with the boat.....know what I mean? That's all I want a local for, to "see" what needs done that isn't obvious to me. Me thinks me may be over thinking all this ???
Thanks again, ALOT !!! And sorry about not posting in correct areas, I'll spend more time figuring out where to post stuff. Apologies.
I have played with boats and cars and engines for 55 years. I learn something new everyday, especially from the members of Boat Buzz.

I have owned several wooden Chris Crafts and I can't say that I ever knew what was going to go wrong before it actually happened. i.e. I didn't realized something was wrong until it went wrong. And then when I looked back I'll say to myself the warning signs were there but I didn't recognize them, or didn't pay attention.

You just have to use the boat(s) and ask questions if something doesn't seem right. Go to local shows, run the boat and ask questions. There are lots of local members in Raleigh, Durham and other parts of NC to help out and answer question based in their experience. You'll get advice on what to look for but the advice can't cover every situation. That's what Boat Buzz is for; to draw on the experience of others nationwide and worldwide.

I have been on other boat forums but Boat Buzz is by far the best and most helpful. Keep the questions coming.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:02 am

You have made a lot of quick progress in the last couple of weeks. Keep up the good work.

The only other forums I have found were for other brand boats (ie: Correct Craft, Riva, .....).

Try posting in "Odds and Ends" something like "Looking for help in Smithfield, NC."

I know if I saw a post like that within 100 miles of where I live I would be on the phone in a minute. :D

Troy
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

teacher

Post by teacher » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:34 am

Hey Troy,
That sounds like a great idea, I'll try it?
Thanks !!!
Currently own.......