Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

New Boat

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

rsundstrom

Re: New Boat

Post by rsundstrom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks Frank,
Excellent info. I actually called the Mariners Museum, and they cross referenced the engine numbers and got me the hull ID. Today, I found the plate while doing more cleaning. It was just loose siting on the floor. Both Engine Hatch covers had been re-done, as well as the seat backs, which is why I couldn't find it there.
Attachments
2013-09-12_17-46-02_966.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!
H.L Mencken.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Cool!
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Very Interesting!!! I recieved my package today from Mariners Museum. Very cool :D
But I came to find out that the owner was selling this as a year model of 1957, but in fact according to the Hull card, it's really a 1955...and everything matches, I even found the Hull ID stamped in some wood, (Like you all said I would). So that was surprising :shock:

Now I ask the question, The title was issued from Canada to me, and I have yet to title it here in the States yet, so now that I find out it was really built in 1955, is this going to cause a problem???
Last edited by rsundstrom on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!
H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:16 pm

So here is a copy of the Hull Card.
IMG_20130926_180734_141 copy.jpg
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:54 pm

well, glad you got the hull card. Check with your local licensing authority to answer that question. you can always show them the hull card. I am not sure when the model changeover year was for the bigger boats. maybe you can ask chris smith and see if he knows. so it is at least theoretically possible it is a 1956 model. maybe reading the 55 and 56 cc catalogs in the archives might be helpful if certain changes were made between the model years, and you might use that info to help decide what model year it was. At least we know year of manufacture. Keep us posted. still a neat boat regardless of model year.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Many states will require a new HIN be issued since the original is not 12 digits long. You shouldn't have any issue with getting the correct year on the title with all of the paperwork that you have.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Don Vogt wrote: so it is at least theoretically possible it is a 1956 model. maybe reading the 55 and 56 cc catalogs in the archives might be helpful if certain changes were made between the model years, and you might use that info to help decide what model year it was. At least we know year of manufacture. Keep us posted. still a neat boat regardless of model year.
I just thought after seeing it stamped "Received" on the hull card and the date being 1955, that it would have been built in 1955. I'll do some more digging.
Thanks Don
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:01 pm

quitchabitchin wrote:Many states will require a new HIN be issued since the original is not 12 digits long. You shouldn't have any issue with getting the correct year on the title with all of the paperwork that you have.
Well that's a relief! Now that I have the hull card, I will proceed with the title!
thanks
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 am

Yes it was built in 55 but cc followed the car pattern and at some point in the year started making the next years model. So when that occurred with the cruisers I do not know.so there can be a difference between built year and model year.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Well I emailed Mariners Museum, and based on their response...I'm calling her a 1955! :D

"Hi Rich,
Thank you for your email. The hull series SC-27 was built between 1955 and 1957. Your boat was built toward the beginning of the series and the hull card is clearly stamped as having shipped in 1955. Often, the boats built in late summer and fall were designated as the next year's model. (Not unlike in the car industry.) But there is no reason to think that your boat is anything other than a 1955 model--built, shipped, and released in 1955. The boats were built largely in sequential order--boat number 70 out of a series of 750 boats would almost definitely be from the first year of production.
Please let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like additional information.
Best,
Patti Hinson
Chris-Craft Services"

So there ya have it! Case Solved. :mrgreen:
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 am

sounds like you can check that one off. Keep us posted on your restoration efforts and good luck!

Dick Burkhard

Post by Dick Burkhard » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Or you could register your boat in Delaware where we have neither titles nor sales or use taxes.
All you need is a bill of sale and most boat supply stores can do it for you.
They don't even care that the boat is not in Delaware.
Did you ever wonder why so many boats have their hailing port as Wilmington, Delaware even mega yachts?
Dick Burkhard
Wilmington, DE
and
North East, MD
[email protected]

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Dick Burkhard wrote:Or you could register your boat in Delaware where we have neither titles nor sales or use taxes.
Always thought you had to have a Delaware Corporation for that to work. :shock:
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Dick Burkhard

Post by Dick Burkhard » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:52 pm

A Delaware corporation is helpful for other reasons but not necessary for state registration nor tax avoidance (however you should always run this type of decision by your tax attorney or accountant).
Dick Burkhard
Wilmington, DE
and
North East, MD
[email protected]

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Don Vogt wrote:sounds like you can check that one off. Keep us posted on your restoration efforts and good luck!
Thanks Don, Will do!
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Dick Burkhard wrote:Or you could register your boat in Delaware where we have neither titles nor sales or use taxes.
All you need is a bill of sale and most boat supply stores can do it for you.
They don't even care that the boat is not in Delaware.
Did you ever wonder why so many boats have their hailing port as Wilmington, Delaware even mega yachts?
Always a loop hole! Ha ha... :lol:
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

H.L Mencken.