Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Shift Adjuster for a K Engine

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

dhealy

Shift Adjuster for a K Engine

Post by dhealy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:34 am

I have a 1957 CC Sportsman with a K 95 hp engine. I have a difficult time placing the engine in neutral. Is there a simple adjustment inside the gear box at the rear of the engine to enable me to adjust for fwd/reverse and neutral?
Don at [email protected]

Captain Nemo

Re: Shift Adjuster for a K Engine

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Don,
Welcome to the buzz. The Paragon reverse gears don't really have a neutral. They kinda have a position that is neither fwd or reverse. Unless the fwd discs or reverse band are way out of adjustment (too tight), you just have to find the sweet spot w/ the shifter position that isn't slipping either fwd or reverse. If it's operating fine, there is nothing wrong w/ the shaft turning a little.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

cuckter

Post by cuckter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi Don
On my 1954 Sportsman K motor, the neutral is as you start to shift into reverse. As stated, there is no true neutral. Just push the reverse level up to just before it latches into forward. Hope this helps. I found the neutral to be a trial/error type experience.

jim g

Post by jim g » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:38 pm

You should be able to get a neutral by moving the shifter lever back and forth between forward and reverse. If you can't then your forward clutch plates probably have some warpage from slipping over the years. If thats the case then the only fix is to replace the clutch plates.

dhealy

Post by dhealy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks for all your comments, they certainly resonate with my experience. I just wondered if there was something more exotic that just that small little spot where everything seems to come to a stand still!!