Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

52 Holiday Transmission question

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

schdds

52 Holiday Transmission question

Post by schdds » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

I'm a new owner, new boater, so excuse my lack of technical knowledge, but i'll do my best to explain my query.
Bought a 19ft holiday this summer, just got her floating and running. Trying to learn how to use the transmission lever. I gather that reverse doesn't lock in, just pull her back for reverse, and let go when done and it pops back into neutral. Forward locks, but i find that at idle, locked in forward, i'm going fast enough to create a decent wake. Makes it hard to tiptoe through the marina.
I don't think it's idling too high, but i guess that's the first place to start.
I do find that if i hold the gear forward a little, i can get her to move slow enough for 'no wake'. There's a 1/2 way point forward where the lever will hold, and i ease forward, wake free. When i clear the no wake zones i can push her all the way forward and go for a ride.
Tach isn't working (yet) so i can't tell you what RPM i'm idling at.
Question: Am i totally screwing up my transmission doing this? 1/2 forward?

Again, new boat owner, 'new' chris craft owner. I have much to learn. Thanks in advance for any guidance y'all can give.

Steve H,
New Orleans

farupp

Re: 52 Holiday Transmission question

Post by farupp » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:13 pm

Welcome to the club!

I believe the idle speed and the transmission both need adjusting. Using the transmission "1/2 way forward" will wear out the bands in the transmission. Having to hold it in reverse will do the same although some have it adjusted that way on purpose. I have mine adjusted so that it locks in both forward and reverse. In forward the transmission needs to be adjusted so that it locks in place and doesn't slip at high rpms.

There are lots of posts on this forum about adjusting the transmission. Leaving it the way it is now will accelerate the wear of the transmission which isn't desirable.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

schdds

Post by schdds » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks Frank. I appreciate your input.

jim g

Post by jim g » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 pm

If your creating a big wake the engine is idling to high. In gear the engine should idle around 600 to 700 rpm. When your holding the lever half way in forward you are allowing the forward clutch plates to slip. The creates alot of heat and will warp the plates. As far as reverse goes there are to styles of reverse. One that locks in and one that doesn't. Your boat falls into the change from the one that didn't to the one that did. If you ever have the trans cover off take a picture of the trans and post it and I can tell you which one you have.

schdds

Post by schdds » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks Jim. If the tach were working i could tell you the RPM. I'll see what i can learn this weekend, and will try to go easy on the transmission until then.

mfine

Post by mfine » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Steve,

You can pick up a cheap electric tach at an auto parts store and connect it to the coil. You can mount it in the engine box or near the dash with zip ties, or put clips on the wires to make it hand held. When your tach is fixed, toss it in your tool box.