Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Depth meter/sounder

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

jimbpilot

Depth meter/sounder

Post by jimbpilot » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 am

What can be used as a depth meter that will work on a wooden hull 1951 Riviera ?? I live on a shallow lake and need one desperately.
jimbpilot
OWN A 1951 18' CHRIS CRAFT RIVIERA

parroteyes

Re: Depth meter/sounder

Post by parroteyes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:37 am

Assuming that you do not have a six year old child with a knotted rope ending in a rock to place in the bow, any fish finder will work.

With a wood (or fiber glass) boat you do not have to put the sender/receiver unit in the water. It can be inside the boat but must be sealed to the bottom air tight. I have used clear silicon caulk for that. Coat the bottom of the sender with the caulk and press it to the hull. Locate it near the stern perhaps a foot or so forward to assure the signal goes through smoothly flowing water when underway.

Since you aren't looking for bottom structure in 200 feet of ocean, go with a basic unit. Don't pay for bells and whistles.

The most important thing is to be familiar with your lake. Don't rely on the depth finder to protect you while on plane in 3' of water! It is 18' behind the bow. Use it to explore the bottom at low speed.
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Greg Wallace

Re: Depth meter/sounder

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:51 am

before you buy confirm that the transducer/sounder combo will shoot through wood. Many will not.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.