Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Stupid Question(s) of the Day

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Jbyerspe

Stupid Question(s) of the Day

Post by Jbyerspe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 pm

OK, on my 58 Cavalier I am discovering that most of it is original. There are a couple of things I have a doubt about however.

On the rear seatback, there is a hole about 5-6 inches in diameter just to the right of the center of the seatback. I know the seatback is original because it has the hull number stamped into the back of the plywood. Not that the hole could not have been added later, but it looks pretty professionally finished around the edges.

Any guesses as to what purpose that may have served?

The second thing is a fairly large light bulb socket that is wired in very near the battery beneath the front seat bottom. It's location corresponds to a hole drilled through the seat bottom just left of center of the seat bottom. I can't for the life of me figure out what the heck purpose this would serve.........

Thanks in advance for your answers.

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: Stupid Question(s) of the Day

Post by JimF » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 am

I don't know what part of the country the boat was in but it could be they put the light on to protect the boat from freezing. People do this here in South Texas where the winters are mild and freezing temperatures are not common. It saves having to drain the engine if the boat is kept in the water. A very dangerous thing to do as fires have resulted. Not recommended!!!
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

Jbyerspe

Post by Jbyerspe » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks Jim. It appears to have been in Atlanta from day one.

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Jbyerspe wrote:OK, on my 58 Cavalier I am discovering that most of it is original. There are a couple of things I have a doubt about however.

On the rear seatback, there is a hole about 5-6 inches in diameter just to the right of the center of the seatback. I know the seatback is original because it has the hull number stamped into the back of the plywood. Not that the hole could not have been added later, but it looks pretty professionally finished around the edges.

Any guesses as to what purpose that may have served?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

The hole in the seat back panel is original. Its there so you can access the fuel cutoff valve at the tank.

What model cavalier do you have? I've parted out a couple of these boats.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:02 am

It sounds like the light socket may be near the drain plug access hole. Perhaps the previous owner wanted to be "illuminated" when checking/ installing drain plug.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

jnbailey71

Post by jnbailey71 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Are you sure that its a lightbulb socket? This could be an old connection for the end of a spotlight? I will post a picture of the original spotlight I have for my boat and the connection. This might help you determine if it would plug into that.
Josh Bailey
1958 15' Chris-Craft Cavalier Utility K95

jnbailey71

Post by jnbailey71 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:46 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
Josh Bailey
1958 15' Chris-Craft Cavalier Utility K95

Jbyerspe

Post by Jbyerspe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Good guess, but it's much larger in diameter than that spot light plug is. It's corroded over pretty badly. I bet it was something someone added at a later time. Who knows what for.........

Jbyerspe

Post by Jbyerspe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks for your answer Jim about the hole in the back seat. I had missed your posting. I actually figured that one out on my own once I got a better look at it.