Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

wiring harness

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

jacqueslene66

wiring harness

Post by jacqueslene66 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:20 pm

This is my first time on boat buzz. Yea! My wiring is a mess. Had some vandalism to make matters worse. Hired what I thought were reputable boat mechanics but after 2 hours in the hot Florida sun they were used up and ready for the nearest watering hole (porbably). They recommended I get a new wireharness or they would get one. They suggested a Merc-Cruiser. I don't think there is anything in my boat that is Merc-Cruiser. Found one on the internet that is an Ezacdc for $199. that looks like it might work for a 20' boat. This is way beyond my pay scale so I need to call in the "Big Guns" for this one. :roll: My boat is a 1971Lancer shipped in 1970.,(2nd owner) Had it since 1974 or 75. I presume you can see the info on my boat profile. 1971 Lancer,19'7",Volvo Pinta 270,AQ 130,Model B, if thats correct. Chevy 283 V8 short block. No big changes except dual exhuast. and missing original lift device that I wish I had. Would appreciate advice. Love My Boat, Jacques'lene

fozbuzz

Re: wiring harness

Post by fozbuzz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Your boat's got fairly simple wiring--front and rear lights to a switch, ignition wires, bilge pump wires and switch--not too hard to do one wire at a time, use crimp connectors, find a shed/garage w/AC, take your time and DIY! Replaced all wiring in my 1958 Sportsman in about a week an hour or so at a time--good luck!!

Bilge Rat

Re: wiring harness

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 pm

American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) is an organization that certifies marine mechanics as well as other marine individuals on the many systems in boats. They take courses, pass tests and must get periodically re-certified as well. They have listings of certified marine electricians and where in your area that has these certified people. ABYC is a standard for electrical wiring on all boats, not just big cruisers and ships. You will be paying a lot for their services, but the proper wire gauges, grounding and fusing will be used to the standards that ABYC wrote.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"