Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

CC kit boat

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

cusoak

CC kit boat

Post by cusoak » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:03 am

I bought this row boat a while back and some one told me it might be a CC kit boat.
I is made out of plywood . It is 1/4" thick and looks like douglas fur plywood. I have stripped it down to bear wood and have not found any rot at all.
It had an ohio boat reg deacal on it from the 70,s
It is just under 14' long
Here area couple of pics of it
Any idea's
Jeff
Attachments
inside rb resize.jpg
resize rb.jpg

Bilge Rat

Re: CC kit boat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:15 pm

From what I've read, the kit CC boats had a number of models from a small 8' pram to 14 foot row boats, 16' to 21' runabouts and even a 31' cruiser. The lines look similar to the kit boats of 14 foot but your pics don't quite show enough detail. To top that off, CC offered "upgrades" like mahogany planked over decks, trim and windshields as options which makes identifying even more challenging. They were sold thru dealers, magazines like Popular Mechanics, and Montgomery Ward to name a few. Immensely popular as father and son and scouting projects. Because of the amateur builder's widely varying expertise and skills, the construction quality can fluctuate even though they were basically a pre-cut and screw together project.

The Chris Craft Essential Guide by Jerry Conrad has a section on the kit boats and the different models. The kit boat division was in production from 1950 - 1958.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Bilge Rat

Re: CC kit boat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Forgot to mention, the factory did not assign hull numbers to the kit boats, and they made thousands of them.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"