Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

registration number style

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

stefan

registration number style

Post by stefan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:36 pm

I am restoring a 1966 Cavalier Dory...almost entirely original..gauges, fittings, etc. Rebuilt center console from museum drawings. I want to be as authentic as possible. Is there a registration number style that was used on Cadillac, MI hulls from 1966. pictures?

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Re: registration number style

Post by Don Vogt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:53 pm

I am not aware that cc gernerally got registration numbers for boats and put them on. I know sometimes they put the back name on in the pre-war era at least, on rerquest.

there is a thread here that talks about type styles. If you want to be period correct, one way to do it is look at the 1966 cc catalogue. There are usually one or more sets of numbers and if you use one of those typefaces, you know at least that you are in the right era.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

stefan

Post by stefan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:22 am

I am (re-) new to this...where do I find the thread to which you refer? Thanks, Stefan

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:49 am

there is a search function where you can type in what you are looking for. A quick review indicates a good discussion at "Chris Craft font for 1942" although that is more about lettering, but may be somewhat helpful. there may be others around, i just dont recall.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:24 am

If you really want to be period correct you will use plastic or metal individual numerals and screw to the hull or mount to a plate (placard) and screw to the hull..."stick on" was coming into play as well in the 60s. Bernard Plastics was a common supplier . Registration was typically 3" block. I doubt you will want to go to this extreme...I would not. There are a number of original (wood) hulls with small holes filled and covered over with more elaborate leaf or paint.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.