Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Ski Challenger

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

57 Sport

Ski Challenger

Post by 57 Sport » Wed May 30, 2012 7:06 am

Here is my newest toy a 1989 Ski Challenger. I picked it up mostly because of its condition and price was to good to pass up. Plus I had an inexpensive lake boat we used on weekends that I sold last year. My wife and daughter have been upset about it so I got this to replace it.

It is an interesting boat though. They where produced only one year in 1989 and sold through Bayliner. It isn't a Bayliner boat though and it was actually built by a company called US Marine. As a matter of fact you cant find Baylner anywhere on the boat but you can find US Marine.

It is a true inboard, tournament style ski boat. It has a 351 Ford Windsor with a velvet drive system. SS prop and through hull exhaust. The boat only has 207 hours and I bought it off the original owner. Boat is in as good of condition as it looks in the pics. Couple of minor scratches in the gel coat and a few MINOR nicks in the interior but nothing you wouldn't expect to see on a 5 yo boat yet alone 23 yo boat.

The boat is ready to go like it sits. I want to replace the VC as the paint all peeled off from exhaust heat. I also want to upgrade the distributor to electronic as it is still a points and condensor model. I may add a wakeboard tower too. I really like the look and TBH you wouldn't know it could easily be a 98 and not an 89. It had a bunch of funky 80's graphics on the side I removed and wet sanded and buffed the factory gel coat so it look new again.

LMK what you guys think. I picked it up with trailer for less than half of what you'ld pay for an 89 Correct Craft in similar condition.

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed May 30, 2012 5:05 pm

looks like you will have to remove the exh manifolds to take the valve covers off.

Thommyboy

Post by Thommyboy » Thu May 31, 2012 5:41 am

US Marine was the parent company to Bayliner.

Andreas

57 Sport

Post by 57 Sport » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 am

Aahh I didnt know that. US Marine name is everywhere on the boat but I cant find Bayliner anywhere so I figured it was a different company.

Yes the exh manifolds have to come off. I am thinking I can back the bolts out to loosen them to sneak the covers off we'll see.

I got a slip at the local lake and have had the boat out several times so far. Great boat no real issues, it runs great and is pretty fast. I haven't skied behind it yet but hope to soon.