Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1971 xk19 steering wheel and speedometer

If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mike xk19

1971 xk19 steering wheel and speedometer

Post by mike xk19 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:56 am

I purchased a 1971 XK19 that will need a little work. Two things I noticed were the steering whell has no center hub. Is there a chance that someone may have one or a replica close to the original?? The guages are are black bezeled Stewart Warner except the speedometer is chrome. Is this correct?? What is correct??

vince xk19

Post by vince xk19 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Hey Mike,

I just bought a 1970 xk19 and hope to have it by mid September.

Here is a picture of a 1969 Dash. I also included a picture of a 1971 with the same steering wheel. The steering wheel in the top picture is not in the best shape but this is the correct one with the hub. Your Gauges I believe would be different than the ones you see here. As it turns out I need a steering wheel as well as a tachometer. So if you get any leads let me know and I will do the same.

I will be doing a full restoration on my XK, so if you are doing the same thing perhaps we could converse on our projects as they progress. Let me know your thoughts... :wink:

Vince

Peter XK19

Correct or not

Post by Peter XK19 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:42 am

What is original on the XK-19s? Somtimes its really hard to say. After eating and breathing the Xk-19s during the latest six years or more ,my opinion is that on some details there simply is or were no exact original. The boats were only built in a total of 276 and not all were built in the same plant.

Differences I have seen:

Two 1970 boats with the same engine options( 350 FLV) but with different exhaust outlets through the transom. One down by the waterline, far apart. And the other one with the more narrow and "strait-out" placing.

Then we have the instruments, some boats have the Chris-Craft gauges and some the Stewart-Warner ones. There are even a few boats manufactured in Italy with Jaeger instumentation(same as in ferarris).

Steering wheels can also be different and specially the center.

Remember ,these boats did not sell because they were too pricy. So by the end of the production 73-74 they had catalogue hardware to make them cheaper. In 1974 only 20 were made and I can tell you they were not the cool sports car owners choice. Cris craft tried to make the boat more "middle of the road" by this but ended up not attracting anybody. But the 1974 boats had the coolest engine hatches with the siesta pad in the hatch rather than on it.

Even trying to figure out model year on some boats can be difficult. One hull could be manufactured one year( and be added to the production line list same year) but not be put together until next year and have the new features. What year is this boat? Eh.......

If you want to be as close as possible to the original my suggestion is that you find a catalogue from the year your boat was manufactured. And then hope you can see details on the pics. But then again there might be another boat out there that left the plant the same year a beeing alittle bit different.

Above are my opinions after years of searching for info. I do not claim to know the truth, but this is what I beleive till someone proves me wrong.

Peter

dustoff135

XK 19

Post by dustoff135 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Peter,

It's very good and "bad" to hear that about what is original and what is not. I'm sure everyone here appreciates your input and expertise. I guess one could always argue that their boat is "as" produced.

A couple of us have speculated that these boats did not sell in the early 70s due to the gas crisis in the US. I'm not sure that would apply to anything before 72 or 73 though. That certainly would not account for the low production numbers in 71 and 72.

Regardless, I am looking at a 1971??? (Hull# 2016) tomorrow and hope to strike a deal. I would love to have a 69 or 70 in color (something besides white) but I won't get it with this boat. Not that it's a problem, I just prefer the colored boats.

Could you possibly shed some light on that subject? How many were produced and when? I am looking for the elusive red and green, as most seem to be maroon and blue.

I agree that the siesta pad being recessed in 74 is definitely a very cool item, keep up the good work on your site.

Peter XK19

Post by Peter XK19 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:10 pm

Dustof,

Interesting idea about the gas crisis. But still you cant argue about the fact that other v8 powered boats were available and sold during these years, and all the cars. How many gas guzlin muscle cars were sold during the energy crises?

Why buy a white boat if you dont want one? I am pretty sure the colored boats are more common. I dont have the information on how many of each color.My guess is that the white boats were only 1972-73. I have never seen or heard of a white -71 but I am not sure there arent any.

Anyway good luck with finding your XK-19.
Cool boats.

Peter

ccfan2010

Re: 1971 xk19 steering wheel and speedometer

Post by ccfan2010 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:37 am

Most of the gauges on my '72 xk19, including the speedometer, are Stewart Warner (SW) gauges which include a "blue dot" design (shown below). Two other gauges are also SW but are different designs (blue line and chrome). If, at the time of xk19 manufacture, all the gauges are the same design, I would like to replace the two non-matching gauges with original design gauges. Can anyone confirm if their xk19 dash is also comprised of SW "blue dot" gauges? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Steve
Attachments
sw gauge.jpg
"Hen's Teeth"
1971 Lancer 23' Offshore