Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Teak Interior Formica Panels

If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Ocean Scout

Teak Interior Formica Panels

Post by Ocean Scout » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:31 am

I was wondering if anyone has a source for the Formica panels used in the later Commanders as well as other models including my 1977 Lancer? They were typically used as bulkheads. In some newer boats they were white, but I'm looking for the wood tone product.

The lower side panels in my cockpit are rotting from the inside out and I would like to replace them. If the pre-made panel is no longer available does anyone have a manufacturers pattern that matches the original Formica?

I've looked at samples in Home Depot, Lowes etc and have identified a few that are real close, however comparing a 2"x 2" swatch to the faded panels now on the boat makes it difficult.

The panels seem to be solid core plywood with a teak colored formica on one side and a paper type product on the other side. I am also assuming that this is a waterproof product, which may eliminate typical home store items.

Thanks

evansjw44

Panels

Post by evansjw44 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:36 pm

Those panels were probably made of luan plywood and just covered with formica. That's how I would make replacements. Be careful to use a waterproof contact cement. The latex cements will not withstand the moisture. You'll want to seal the raw wood after you cement on the formica nad trim them. You don;t want to leave a place for water to get into the wood and delaminate the plywood.