Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1971 XK19 Flooring

If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dustoff135

1971 XK19 Flooring

Post by dustoff135 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi guys, need some help. Attached is a photo of my 1971 XK flooring. Does anyone know of a source for this material? To give you some sense of scale, note that the two holes are approximately one inch apart. Also, please note that this sample is dirty, how white it should be I'm not sure.

Patrick

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:01 am

Since I never got a response on this post, I assumed that nothing existed that matches the original product. So far, that is the case. I did a lot of research and had several product samples mailed to me, but nothing that was an exact match.

I do not know at what point, but Chris Craft started putting in carpet instead of vinyl in the XK19. Gotta love the shag they decided to use. :lol: My boat is hull # 2016, so it was relatively early in the 1971 production run.

My research shows that Nautolex originally manufactured the flooring used in my boat. What I've decided to use since no one makes this flooring any more, is a Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring. The color I'm using is called Sandstone. The color is as close as I could find but the texture is different. One can find this product by doing a Google search, with several upholstery places offering this product.

I have ordered 8 linear yards to re-do my floor. It is sold in a width of 72 inches. I'm purchasing through a local upholstery shop and will not incur shipping charges, but at a cost of $26.95 a yard.

I'm attemting to attach a link so anyone interested can at least look at waht I'm talking about.

http://www.garysupholstery.com/ntomarfloor.html

Patrick

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 am

Patrick, I tried to find the exact material a couple of years back. I reached a dead-end, but I know that it has to be out there in someones surplus somewhere. This exact product was widely used in the 60s and early 70s.

Drat!
Bill Basler

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 am

I agree Bill, there is a roll or more of this stuff somewhere. I guess we need to find all the Mom and Pop upholstery shops that have been operating since the early 70s. If I ever find any, I just hope it has aged more gracefully than that in my boat. It is quite brittle at this point.

Patrick

Peter XK19

kind of plastic spaghetti

Post by Peter XK19 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:25 pm

In my 1970 XK-19 I found an old carpeting that the former owner didnt want to throw out. I have never seen anything like it in any other XK-19. But still I get the feeling it is the original carpeting. Any other XK-19 owner seen this before?

Strange stuff :?

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:02 pm

My flooring is just a thin vinyl as pictured at the beginning of this thread. Vinyl and shag are the only two things I've seen to date.

Patrick