Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Wood Grain Vinyl - Corsair Sport V

If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Thommyboy

Wood Grain Vinyl - Corsair Sport V

Post by Thommyboy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:36 am

Anyone ever replace the wood grain vinyl on the interior of their CC Corsair boats? It's in the cockpit ceiling, on the dashboard and the bulkheak under the deck. Need to find replacement material for my '66 Corsair Sport V outboard 17 1/2 footer.

Any sources for this vinyl?

Does anyone know what the curtain looked like that hid the battery and fuel tank under the motor splash well? Mine is missing.

Andreas
[email protected]

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Andreas, my 1964 XL175 Sunlounger has the exact same material. I have been in a whole bunch of 60s and 70s vintage fiberglass boats, and I remember the exact same product in many of them. Same color, same weight, and same method of attachment in that it is usually just wrapped and stapled on the back sides. OUr 1967 family Winner Trihull had the exact same product.

Of course, I need to change mine out as well. I thought that this would be an easy product to find for sure. Wrong. I have been scouring sources for a year, with no luck. I have called upholstery shops that specialize in vintage upholstery goods and have reached a dead end in every case.

I ended up going out to Lowe's and looking through some plastic laminate samples. I found a series of discontinued Formicas that are matte finish, and a dead ringer for grain, etc. The literature referred to he color as Fruitwood, and it is basically Walnut in color.

My ceiling panels are 1/4 inch tempered masonite with the woodgrain overlay, stapled on the back.

I have made patterns for cutting new masonite. I will be laminating the masonite with woodgrain Formica. The panels have a decent bow to them as they follow the inside shape of the hull sides, but nothing the laminated panels can't handle. I don't know much about how Formica lasts out in the weather. I am hoping for the best. It will really only be in direct sun and spray when the boat is being used. Otherwise it will be under cover.

The dash, glove box cover, and stern engine bay divider will be made out of the same method. The glove box and dash will have the original aluminum trim reattached.
Bill Basler

Thommyboy

Post by Thommyboy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:05 am

Thanks for the info. Bill. I too, have been asking around about wood grain vinyl and hitting a dead end.

Formica.....very interesting.

Andreas

R_Maclay

Post by R_Maclay » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks Bill for the information as well.

I had my faded woodgrain vinyl too and as a temporary measure I brushed on brown woodstain over the vinyl and all the grains came out wonderfully.

My only problem is finding new woodgrain vinyl that is as wide as the rear engine compartment/firewall.

Thanks, Mac
1965 Chris-Craft Corsair
17.5 Ft. XL-175 SunLounger
225v6 OMC-Buick I/O