Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

79 Corinthian mystery

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

HIBear

79 Corinthian mystery

Post by HIBear » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Hello everyone- hope some of you might be able to help... I have a 1979 Corinthian 331 that frankly is a mess- soon to remedy. I am building a new switch panel and have no idea of what "BINN. LT." or "ANG. LT." is. Light is obvious but what do these switchs illuminate? The pannel shows: Nav LT (thats easy- Navigation), INST LT (Instruments), BINN LT ?, and ANG LT ?. Any help would be marvelous- also the Maritime Museum has very limited info on this boat, does anyone have any documentation associated with the Corinthian models?

Thanks in advance!!!

Bear

farupp

Post by farupp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Bear: I am fairly certain that BINN means Binnacle (compass). ANG may really be ANC which may mean anchor.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Bear,

Binn = Binnacle, The other one may actually be ANC which would be for the Anchor Light.

First, Binnacle is defined as an enclosure for a compass on old ships. Not sure why Chris-Craft used the word since there's usually not a compass to light up on most of their boats. My cruiser has a Binnacle Light switch too. When I got her, this switch turned on the clear light mounted on the forward deck at the bow. I assume this is what they intended???

Unless one is familiar with nautical terms, one may think the Anchor Light must illuminate the boat's anchor (I did years ago). The anchor light is usually mounted on a mast so it's at the highest point on the boat. When the boat is anchored out at night, turn the anchor light on and the nav. lights off. This indicates to boaters navigating near you that you're "on the hook" and to steer clear of your stationary position.

Al

HIBear

Thanks!

Post by HIBear » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks Al and Frank- Most helpful.

Bear