Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1973 Lancer V6 worth rebuilding.

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Ifixvws

1973 Lancer V6 worth rebuilding.

Post by Ifixvws » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey all,

I have just picked up a 73 Lancer with a V6 for free. The previous owner said the head or heads were cracked.

Question, Is the V6 worth repairing?

I own a automotive repair shop so the mechanical side wont be a problem. I just don't know if it is worth the time.

Finding a V8 would be awesome. I just dont want to spend a ton of time modding or adapting the transom for a Merc outdrive from OMC. I'm guessing the outdrive couldn't handle the power of a 350 chev motor.

Here is a pic of the boat.
Chad Erickson
SCI Performance.com
Minneapolis,Mn
[email protected]
VW/Audi repair and tuning

craigjudge

Post by craigjudge » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Nice score! I have a spare 307 CC motor that is proper for the period and should drop right into your Lancer. Yours looks like a 17'. I would bet you'd get at least 15 mph more out of the 307. Put thru hull exhaust and it'll sound like 50 more! Love the Lancers!

thompsonboatboy

Post by thompsonboatboy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:12 am

Very nice score!

I can't help with the engine question.

Get her running and bring her to the Bob Speltz Land-O-Lakes chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society events. Our annual in water boat show is on Lake Minnetonka the weekend after Labor Day.

Yesterday we had a winter "workshop" and the topic was Chris-Crafts!

www.acbs-bslol.com

I have the earlier version of this boat - a 1966 CC Corsair Sport V 17'-6" outboard.

Andreas

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Hello,

Good Score on that Lancer, congratulations! But
from what I've heard, if you have the Buick based CC V-6, some of the rebuild parts can be difficult to find, so that might make a difference in how you approach the decision to rebuild or replace.

But I do know that the OMC outdrive you have is for lack of a better term "fragile". My dad had one on an 73 SeaRay 22' and the thing was like a hand grenade. Every time you turned the key to start the engine, it was like pulling the pin on a grenade, it wasn't a case of if it was going to blow up, but when it was going to blow up.

Now, with good care, maybe you can make an older OMC outdrive last, if you don't run it too hard. But there was a reason that OMC came out with the Cobra outdrive in the 90's. It was a lot better than the style you have. Also, I believe parts are getting harder to find for the older drive since OMC went out of business a few years back.

I'm not telling you all of this to ruin your day, I'm just trying to provide you with some hopefully helpful info so you can make the right decision for your boat, time, wallet and piece of mind.

Good Luck,
Ron Michael
1972 CC XK22

boatwax

Lancer repower

Post by boatwax » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Great find on this boat! I had the same boat and engine combo about 10 years ago. The Buick v6 was ok, but I wanted more power. I bought a gm 350 crate engine, which is a great value at $1500 or so, changed the cam to comp cams marine grind, and put it in the lancer. A few tips:
The front engine mount is totally different, I had to have one made using a wood template we constructed.
The engine box will have to be extended by 4 inches for clearance.
I had my omc outdrive lower end rebuilt to make sure it would handle the increased power.
The boat handled very well, and would scream at 60mph.
I'm happy to help if you have any questions.

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 am

Hey congrats on the Lancer, she looks like a 17-footer to me due to the fact that it does not appear to have an access to the forward (v-berth) hull like the 19 does. The 17 came with the 225 Buick, 305 GM V8, and the Mercury (4-cylinder) 188. At just over 2000 pounds any one of these motors would be fun with that hull. This is the deep-v Jim Wynne designed hull and on the 23 Lancer/Commander it was a 24-degree deadrise, and I am not sure about the 17, but just about anything Mr. Wynne touched was a success. This boat will surprise you in the chop, because the hull was designed by one of the most competitive offshore racer/designers of all time!

From what I have heard about the Buick V6, I think the motor parts are reasonably available but the difficult parts are finding marine exhaust manifolds. Good luck with the project, it is nice to see another one of these great classic fiberglass Chris Craft boats saved.

Best,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Episode VI

To rebuild or replace V6

Post by Episode VI » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 am

Belated Congrats on the new old boat! You did better than me as mine cost $500 on eBay plus a road trip to Missouri from Boston, MA. Does your motor look like the one in the photo attachment? If so it is a Buick 225CID. The photo is from my restored 1971 Custom 17' (picture also included) designed by Jim Wynne. I realize this is a late reply to your inquiry but maybe it will help someone else in future. Go here for a brief history of your motor:

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/buick_v6.htm

Given your mechanical ability, you could rebuild the motor and replace the out-drive with a Volvo-Penta 270. Parts are reasonably available for this out-drive. See: http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/ and http://www.sterndrive.com/board/show_forum.cfm?ID=43

I found www.sterndrive.com forum to be extremely helpful for me in rebuilding my Volvo-Penta out-drive. I bought a rebuilt upper housing (transmission) from a member/moderator that works beautifully.

A few intimately experienced owner observations- the V6 will get you 30-35mph top speed; the Buick V6 is a very sweet engine and purrs at low rpm/roars at 4000rpm; I do not have the experience to compare but this 17' version is not that great in heavy chop and would benefit from Bennett trim tabs, however there is no room on the transom; without trim tabs you absolutely must add a foil to your out-drive so that you get up on plane quickly; if I ever re-power I would seek more power and a matched trim-tilt outdrive because the boat begs for it, but I think the increased weight of a V8 would be detrimental; you can convert the points/condenser ignition to electronic but it will not be USCG approved; be prepared to be approached by admirer's at the boat ramp or dockside as these are attractive boats... and a classy ride for the wife.

BTW- If you decided to repower, I would be interested in your engine and manifolds as spare!

Enjoy!