Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

F series circulating water pump question

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rgmxk22

F series circulating water pump question

Post by rgmxk22 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi All,

In my XK22, I have a Chris Craft 350FLV, which has the same basic cooling system and any other CC "F" series engine. I have a spare circulating water pump that I'd like to rebuild and have ready to go if the one on the engine fails. Now, I have a source for the parts and even have the pump (Sherwood model Q10825) halfway torn down for rebuilding.

What has me a little stuck in how to remove the cast bronze impeller from the main shaft? I'm betting it presses on to the shaft, but the hub of the impeller has a threaded area that you might need a special Sherwood puller of some sort to get this apart.

I sure don't want to ruin this pump since they are getting hard to find these days. And this one could use new bearings in it along with the new seal. So does anyone have experience rebuilding one of these pumps and can shed a little light on my problem?

Thanks in advance,
Ron Michael
72 CC XK22
Ohio

jim g

Re: F series circulating water pump question

Post by jim g » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 pm

I've rebuilt several of them. I had to make a puller to remove the impeller and when you press the impeller back on it has to go back at the same height.

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I was planing on measuring how the impeller fits to the shaft depth-wise before I took it off the shaft, but thanks for the tip. I was wondering if I wouldn't have to make a puller after seeing the threads on the hub of the impeller. Now I guess I'd just have to figure out how to make a puller.

Thanks again,
Ron Michael
72 CC XK22
Ohio

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 am

YOu also need a hydraulic press to put it back together.

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks again Jim. I wanted to ask how you made the puller or if you have a picture of it you could share?

Ron