Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Lancer Hull Construction

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Alan B

Lancer Hull Construction

Post by Alan B » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 pm

I've seen a number of 23' Lancers with an inboard, but only 1 inboard that had a tunnel drive. Does anyone know what years / model of the Lancer I/B came with a tunnel drive - even better if you know where one is that is for sale, condition is not important.

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:47 pm

Alan, most 23' Lancer inboards had the tunnel and the shallow prop angle. These boats were configured like a traditional utility runabout with the engine box about mid- boat. But there was a Lancer Premier model that had a V- drive and no tunnel. The one I saw was on ebay recently and had a 427 Ford. That should be a rockin' boat! The engine box on this boat was aft like on an I/O. I'd have to go look them up in my Essential Guide to see if they had other engine options with the V- drive, I think that they may have had a 350 Chevy option too. There was also a 19' and 23' Commander that was really a rebadged Lancer that had the V- drives, no tunnel and had a large sunpad aft that covered the engine area.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

dplazesk

Lancer 23 Tunnel Drive

Post by dplazesk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:59 am

I own a 1972 23' lancer inboard with tunnel drive. My mechanic said it was a v-drive when it was built but it probably failed and it was cheaper to remove it and have a straight inboard drive.

He knew this because of the location of the engine mount blocks on the transom.

Make an offer for my boat if interested. Still has original V-8 235. I just put $2500 into engine, new carb and mechanical fuel pump, removed electric fuel pump.New plugs, wires etc......compression is great and even.

Cheers,

David