Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Removing paint from fiberglass and gelcoat

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

farupp

Removing paint from fiberglass and gelcoat

Post by farupp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:16 am

I am seriously looking at a 22 foot 1978 Chris Craft Cutlass in overall good condition. The original white fiberglass/gelcoat is in excellent condition (very shiny with no spider cracks or cracks of any kind) but dark blue stripes (not original) have been painted on the hull.

Is there a way to remove the paint without damaging the gelcoat and fiberglass and maintaining the original shine of the white gelcoat?

Is there a way to do the same with bottom paint?

Thanks.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:03 am

Frank:

I faced this same problem. 100% of my boat's exterior had been painted. There are chemical strippers that can be used on fiberglass, but look for a disclaimer that says this. Stay away from any that do not say this. They'll eat into the gel like a hot knife through butter.

On my boat I tried some of the gelcoat safe strippers. In fact they were so gelcoat safe, they were almost paint safe as well. I made very little progress with these.

I chose to remove the paint the old fashioned way. By hand, wet sanding the entire hull. I started with 320 wet, until I could see the original paint layer getting transparent. There was enough of a color difference between the paint and the original gelcoat I could tell a difference.

From there I dropped down to 400. By the time I got to the gelocat I as at 600. Once working directly on the gelcoat, I took it from 600 to 1500. The rest I'll handle with a buffer.
Last edited by Bill Basler on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

farupp

Post by farupp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks, Bill. That is sort of what I expected but figured I didn't have anything to lose by asking.

If buy the boat I'll try to determine the thickness of the blue paint.
Frank Rupp

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:16 pm

I've had some luck removing paint from fiberglass with MEK. It can be found at places like WEST MARINE or other hardware stores, usually near the laquer thinner. It still requires some elbow grease. 3M scotchbrite pads seemed to work well with it. It does evaporate quickly, sort of like laquer thinner will.

If you get some MEK, or any other type of chemical, always try it in an obscure place first to make sure it reacts well on your boat.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

farupp

Post by farupp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks. Does it seem to adversly affect the gelcoat?
Frank Rupp

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:17 pm

No, it doen't seem to affect the gel coat. This could be partially because it evaporates quickly enough that it doesn't have a chance to really bite into the fiberglass. You end up keeping your rag or scotchbrite soaked instead of having it lay on the hull like a paste paint remover would.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

farupp

Post by farupp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanks, Bret.
Frank Rupp

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:51 pm

If you decide to use MEK, please do so with great care. It is a carcinogen and generally just not good to be around. It soaks into the skin, is bad to inhale and extremely flammable.

I have had moderate success with a product called Soy Strip form the Franmar company. It is very safe to work with and has no odor. It does not work quickly though. The last application sat for 3 hours before I scraped it off with a plastic putty knife. It is advertised as gelcoat safe, but does require some extra work. You still need to check it regularly to assure it's not doing harm.

I got it to remove antifouling paint that someone put on the bottom and part of the transom and sides. I do NOT know what they were thinking as it has always been a fresh water boat.

Patrick
Patrick

Previous projects: 1940 17' Barrelback, #71572
1971 XK19, ORCZ19-2016V

New project: Looking???

farupp

Post by farupp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 am

Thanks, Patrick, for the tip about MEK. I believe some owners feel that the bottom of a boat must be painted with bottom paint and off they go to West Marine or where ever and buy bottom paint.

Bottom paint is necessary for a boat kept in salt water or fresh water at a dock for a month or longer. I kept a 1949 CC cruiser at a dock for several years here in Charleston and pulled in once a year for bottom cleaning and bottom paint touch up.

Boats will get slime on the bottom in fresh water if they are left in the water for a few weeks or longer. Even in salt water, bottom paint isn't really necessary, in my opinion, if the boat stays in the water only for a day or two. Slime and algae can easily be washed off with a power washer and a brush if needed.

My plan is to use the boat in salt water but take it out after a day or two and store it on a trailer in my back yard. I guess I could just let the bottom paint wear off on its own but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.
Frank Rupp

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:02 am

I read somewhere of using Easy-Off oven cleaner to remove a painted on name from a transom or similar. This idea carried the same caution regarding the vapors being hazardous and that it will harm the gel coat if left applied for too long. Further instructions included polishing off any residue using a fine compound. I have never tried this technique myself but it was said to work good. Ed
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

farupp

Post by farupp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks for the tip, Ed. As I am sure you are aware, the cuddy cabin version of the cutlass is essentially the same as the dory version, like you have, with a fiberglass cabin added to the top. There a a few dorys for sale now as well as a few cuddy cabin versions.
Frank Rupp

Scorpion Bowl

MEK

Post by Scorpion Bowl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Everyone...
MEK is methyl ethyl keytone. This is a very harsh chemical. DO NOT breath it in, it has been known to cause cancer, and cause reproductive system failure. It is trans-dermal...works through the skin. read the Label, SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.[/i]