Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

71 XK 19 Spray Painting Cribing or Roll the hull over?

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bad Ass Boat

71 XK 19 Spray Painting Cribing or Roll the hull over?

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:41 pm

I have the engine out of my x the out side paint is really bad its the brown and white. Yuck! I want to paint it metalic blue and white two stage base coat clear coat. Heres the delima I live out in the sticks in Nevada theres no boat shops that can help me take the boat off the trailer and turn it over so I can sand and paint it. I dont know how to do this. 2. Put it up on blocks and sand it that way but heres the problem. You have to spray up to the block stop let it dry then move then relocate the blocks then spray to the next block and do the same all over again. This in my istimation would cause over spray patterns on the hull where you stopped and started. The metalics have to flow together you would have stop and start problems on the surface where you painted with your paint gun. Any advice Guys? The shops out only 8 foot ceiling no way to rig Thanks Roger :roll:

Scorpion Bowl

Lifting for paint

Post by Scorpion Bowl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:56 pm

While working on my Scorpion 169 this summer, I needed to work on the trailer. So I went to town and got a guy with a tow truck for a couple hours and a case of beer. he ran out two slings and it worked real spiffy.
I don't know if this idea works for you, but since you didn't get a reply, I tried.[/b]

Bad Ass Boat

Pulling off the boat and painting

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. The delema is I not only need to pull the boat off the trailer but I need to turn it over and either put it on a flat bed or make coaster with some four by fours on balloon tires so I can jocky it around. Once I get it turned over I can go to town and fix all the gouges nicks prim and then paint it. I dont know how to turn a 19 foot boat over then sling is back up right to put it back on the trailer. :?

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:34 am

Hi, I've read in books how the wooden runabout owners roll their hulls over, so the info is out there. I've read different methods with lifting rigs and slings they've used. So my advice is maybe post this in the wooden boat sections here and the wood guys might give you an idea how to do this. Or check into books on restoring wooden runabouts and you might see something that would work for you.

Ron

Bad Ass Boat

Slinging the X

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Thats worth a shot Ron I'll post it and see if I get any shots on it. I'm really stupid on this subject I dont want to bust up a boat that has a total production of 246 if you know what I mean. Thanks Roger :?

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:28 pm

Yep, I sure do know what you mean Rodger. There's also supposed to be just a shade over 200 hull like my XK22 built. So not damaging the old girl should be a consideration. Good Luck, Ron