Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

wooden venetian window blinds

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

keith colonna

wooden venetian window blinds

Post by keith colonna » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:47 am

I am installing period correct wooden window blinds in the salon of my 1955 42' Corvette. I have the '54 and '55 Chris Craft catalogs which show black and white images. Does anyone have any original blinds? And if so, what is the color of the wooden blinds and the color of the tapes. It appears from the black and white photos that they were similar to the interior wood unless installed in a white painted cabin such as the rear cabin. My salon is a medium dark mahogany color like the exterior. But when you look at exterior views in the catalog the blinds look much whiter than the exterior mahagony cabin sides.

Doug P

Re: wooden venetian window blinds

Post by Doug P » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Calling Martha Stewart. Calling Martha Stewart.

keith colonna

Post by keith colonna » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Yo' Doug,
This is not a design question....this is an authenticity question....Martha wouldn't have the answer. I have "down-dated" my boats/cars to reflect the often impractical but original aspects. I want to experience the vehicle (water/land/air) "in situ" . So I run my antique cars on bias ply tires, my boat with original engines (and interior), etc.. I celebrate the limitations and consider myself in a time machine when in my hobbies.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:22 pm

I'll confirm with a friend this weekend, but I remember natural ash with similar color tapes.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:31 am

"yo" keith,

Not heard from you lately? Is the Corvette tight?

John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

keith colonna

Post by keith colonna » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:14 pm

I tried to call the Mariner's Museum and left messages the last two days for the Chris Craft Archivist and his assistant.
Neither have returned my call with answers to the request for color stills showing the blinds. I was reminded though by another museum staff that the library contents have been moved during a renovation of the Christopher Newport college building next door to the Mariners Museum where they were moved to a few years ago from the MM museum. I visited there at the college library and it was a great place with tables to lay out the drawings. But, the CC collection will apparently not be accessible to the public until Fall 2017!!
So....I am dependent on this Forum and the member experts to help me with this question. Thanks in advance for your help!