Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Ventilation Pipes

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jnbailey71

Ventilation Pipes

Post by jnbailey71 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:01 pm

The tubes that connect to the air vents on the deck of my 58' Cavalier are all galvanized except for one that is copper. Doesn't really make a difference to me that it is as I'll be restoring them. The two aft vents are seen behind the front seat back. To two vents on the stern deck are hidden behind the back seat. The copper pipe was behind the back seat. Any practical reason behind this?
Attachments
IMG_2486.JPG
Josh Bailey
1958 15' Chris-Craft Cavalier Utility K95

mbigpops

Re: Ventilation Pipes

Post by mbigpops » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:16 am

From what I know one of the forward facing vents (I guess what you are calling behind the front seat) gets a galvanized pipe like the one on the starboard side in your photo. The purpose is to draw fresh air in low into the bilge.

I have not seen any pipes in the aft facing vents (what our are calling behind the rear seat). Those are for exhausting any gas fumes in the bilge and if anything one would have something like dryer vent hose that goes low in the bilge with a blower mounted under the deck.

In my opinion the copper pipe is not original and should not be there. Someone with a utility may know more.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:32 am

Galvanized gutter drain pipe was the norm. I am more concerned about the rubber hoses if they are fuel related...meaning that the fuel tank and supply may not be properly grounded.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41 am

could the copper be the old self bailer?

If you are not going for a show boat but a go boat....I would consider replacing that gal. metal with pvc.....but hey, the gal. lasted a long time anyway...going with it again would be fine

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:45 am

jfrprops wrote:could the copper be the old self bailer?

If you are not going for a show boat but a go boat....I would consider replacing that gal. metal with pvc.....but hey, the gal. lasted a long time anyway...going with it again would be fine

John in Va.

The self bailer would be where the hole is below the engine exhaust and smaller diameter. Sell the copper vent tube and retire.

jnbailey71

Post by jnbailey71 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Good info here, regarding the fuel lines this was how I got the boat back after my dad sold it to a friend that had it for years up until last year. As you all know there are some seriously scary things uninformed folks Rig. I'll be purchasing a rayco tank with ground stud and connecting it to the engine.

As for the vents they are all in decent shape I'll probably just clean them up and reuse. I don't mind the copper vent, it just adds to her personality (behind the seat where no one sees it :P )

I'll be keeping the self bailer too!
Josh Bailey
1958 15' Chris-Craft Cavalier Utility K95

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:09 pm

I would not keep the self bailer....as it has sunk many a boat.....but that is up to you.

At the very least..were I to leave it onboard from originality...I would stop is up.

No matter what...don't rely just on it....get a couple of good electric bilge pumps....and renew the bilge blower while you are at it.

Just my opinion.....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)