Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1947 Blue Tolex

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Edgewaterservices

1947 Blue Tolex

Post by Edgewaterservices » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Hello-I recently joined the group and purchased an 1947 U-22, hull 778. Very original boat; but the upholstery has been replaced. Now I gander it's going to be a little while before I can get a copy of the hull card from The Mariners Museum, but my guess is that this boat was most likely originally a Tolex blue boat like so many of them were in 1947. Is there a good source available that is a close match for this fabric?

And I guess while I'm inquiring-how about the floorboard covering? Linoleum of some sort?

Thanks so much for your help

Michael A. Hill

kiitos

Re: 1947 Blue Tolex

Post by kiitos » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 am

A couple year ago I restored a 1948 U22 #1216. The hull card read Blue Tolex and the linoleum was gray marble. When I purchased the boat the interior was red and the flooring was red indoor/outdoor carpeting. I needed to repair a piece of the mahogany in the rear seat back. When I disassembled the seat back I found two pieces of the original blue tolex covering the two hangar holes. The best match that I found for the blue tolex was a Hampton product. HPT6800 Lapis Blue. I bought 18 linear yards and had plenty left over.

Under the red carpet was the original linoleum. That was a mess. Basically fell off the floor boards in small pieces. The best match I found was Forbo Marmoluem Real. Color is Dove Gray. I purchased it through Green Supply in Fairfield, Iowa. 11 linear yards. The color dove gray has a hint of blue which worked well with the blue.

Let me know if you need more information.

Mike
'78 Chris Craft 30' Sportsman
'49 Chris Craft 25' Sportsman - Twin "K"s

Robin Stuckenschneider

Re: 1947 Blue Tolex

Post by Robin Stuckenschneider » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:22 pm

Your information on original looking interior and flooring is exactly what I needed for the restoration of a 1949 CC 22' sport utility. Just curious if you are satisfied with the products you used after all these years? This is my first "woodie" and keeping her on the water in classic style is the goal.