Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

stateroom mirror

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

johnkmetz

stateroom mirror

Post by johnkmetz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:50 am

I have a 45' 1969 Connie with a flat mirror fastened to the rear bulkhead of our master stateroom. It is held in place with six chromed mirror clips, and I'd like to remove the mirror to apply new wall covering. Can anyone tell me how the mirror clips are attached to the bulkhead? I assumed they would be through-bolted and accessible from the lazarette, but I can't find any fasteners on the lazarette side that correspond to the locations of the clips. Any help much appreciated.

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 pm

If they are like the ones that were on my '65 43' foot Connie they are simply screwed into the 3/4" plywood of the bulk head. The top clips have an elongated holes and you should be able to (carefully) slide them up enough so that the mirror can tip forward and be lifted off. At that point the screws holding the bottom clips will be exposed and you an unscrew them from the bulkhead. Good luck!

Randman

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Randman's description is that of a standard mirror clip like those used in homes as well. I always use a thin, flexible 1 1/2" putty knife and carefully tap the end with the palm of my hand to slide the clips up. Fairly easy, just a little intimidating the first time you try it.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

johnkmetz

Post by johnkmetz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks, guys--that's a big help. I also noticed that the top and left clips have two setscrews in them to hold the mirror tightly, and I'll back those out a bit, as well.