Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Sewing Machine

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Take Time

Sewing Machine

Post by Take Time » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 pm

All,

I have been thinking about replacing the Delta Canvas on our 1963 30' Connie. Are there any recomendations on sewing machines? Even better, advice on the subject?

Rob

SJHanson

Post by SJHanson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 am

Rob
Try the Sailrite website. They are a DIY supplier and will have everything you need, including "How To" videos. Good Luck.

www.sailrite.com

boatmanscm

Post by boatmanscm » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:51 pm

I would most defenatly look into a walking foot machine , paff, brothers, singer just afew out there.
But it has to sew layers so industrual is a must. I have seen the olderones go for 300.00and up.
In case you are not a sewer, walking foot pulls the materials thru the steps of the presser foot and is a must.
Old singers and home units just stich and you feed the materials thru and have little controll over stich lengths. A good stich length is #6 , 6 stiches per inch and a min. of 1/2" salvage on all seams.
Bobbins come in 2 sizes basicly, Gs, Ms, (M) has average 33 yards per bobbin. the largest , recomend .
Then a good thread # 138 white as it all fades anyway. Just stay away from cotton a good man made fiber.
I suggest making the top at one time then lay on boat and fit sides. Remember to alow for shrinkage adds up over 20 plus feet. cut and sew across boat .
Good luck and watch those fingers .
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]

martinfeletto

Post by martinfeletto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Stan - you never cease to amaze me with what you know, or how well you do upolstery. Anybody out there who needs work, Stan is the best.

Marty Feletto

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:06 pm

I missed a sailrite on craigslist and ended up with a singer 301 (slant quilting machine) about the same vintage as our boat. Using it for small projects and patch work. Nice machine and you can find just about anything for it on eBay.

I recommend you keep owning a good sewing machine a secret or you will end up with people lined up asking for small favors... if you get my drift.

My plans call for new delta canvas, please go first and let me know how it comes out! :D

boatmanscm

sewing machine

Post by boatmanscm » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:37 am

brokenRule2, Just wait till the wife wants you to hem her skirts . Good sewing and keep the fingers on the sides. :D

boatmanscm

Canvas on 1963

Post by boatmanscm » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:54 am

Take Time,
IF YOU HAVE A OLD CANVAS I WOULD,
First , make some timming marks on old cover a couple of pencil marks per side, that sewn to any other section.
Second: BUST THE STICHES APART AND LAY THE OLD SECTIONS ON THE NEW CANVAS AND TRACE AROUND EDGES.
3: transfer the timming marks onto new canvas and fold at each mark and cut a v about 1/4" deep .
4: start sewing from the marks outwards they should line up with the connecting pannel if sewn correctly.
Allowing for seams min 1/2" salvage. but leaving the ends that have snaps or fasteners longer incase of shrinkage or old streched pattern.
Sew down each seam line once and trial fit to boat.

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:00 pm

She had a project for me, whatever keeps her happy...