Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1938 linoleum installation

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

prlentz

1938 linoleum installation

Post by prlentz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Ok so my 1938 sportsman had a grey linoleum flooring . I have found Armstrong makes a gull grey sheet product that is close to what the original factory photo looks like. My question is how was the linoleum held down to the foor boards. The boat I have has been altered so much that I am not even sure that the original had floor boards vs a one piece plywood floor. If the linoleum was glued down over the floor boards how would you have access to the stuffing box for the drive shaft or any other need to get to the bottom of the boat ? I have been on the phone to the national maritime museum and I already have the only drawing and print material available through the museum.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have.

DennyDowning

Re: 1938 linoleum installation

Post by DennyDowning » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 pm

On my 1929 I researched and found the original type of material.
I call it Battleship Linoleum and ordered it from a very nice person who was very helpful including giving good installation information. I think his name was Tony and I found him at http://www.battleshiplinoleum.com/

My deck boards are all seperate and have lift rings where necessary. They are all loose and can be lifted as well. I glued the Battleship Linoleum to the plywood boards with contact adhesive. But, I had to cover all the edges with aluminum trim. It was a lot of cutting and fitting the aluminum a lot more work then gluing down the material. You have to have a metal edge around the boards if you do them individually. It is the metal edge that keeps the material from lifting at the edges. Also, I recommend painting the boards front back and triple on the edges. Makes the boards clean and preserves them for a long time.

Doug P

Re: 1938 linoleum installation

Post by Doug P » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm holding down Marmoleum with hatch rings and edge trim. I find that adhesive, especially on ply, will lift off some of the plies when removed.