Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Headliner - Foam back or no foam

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

StValentine

Headliner - Foam back or no foam

Post by StValentine » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Anyone have advice on headliners for the salon of a Connie? I've seen so many choices my head's swimming. Foam backing or no foam backing? I'm assuming the color should be white but pure white, off-white? Any help would be appreciated.

boatmanscm

Re: Headliner - Foam back or no foam

Post by boatmanscm » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:37 am

USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN FOAMED BACK . JUST LOOK IN A COUPLE OLDER CARS AND SEE IT HANGING DOWN LIKE A BALLON. HEAT MAKES THE FOAM ROT AND THEN THE FABRIC SEAPERATES FROM THE FOAM. YOU WILL HAVE AIR QUALITY PROBLEMS LATTER WHEN THE FOAM DUST GETS A WIND . I HAVE BEEN DOING UPHOLSTERY SINCE 1973 AND YOU NEED A GOOD HEADLINER FABRIC OR VINYL It comes 54" wide and you run up the roll with your cuts. This will allow for stretch in the correct direction when pulling edges to install.
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]

StValentine

Post by StValentine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Valuable advice. Thanks. Can you recommend where I might get the headliner I need?

boatmanscm

Post by boatmanscm » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Most auto upholstery shop will vary ,or can order from Keyston brothers in most areas. Trinflex has a sample card with about20 colors with matching hidem. Depending on. Application the matching hidem is the most important thing to do
a nice finish.
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]