Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Engine Cover Rehab - U22

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

offshorespars

Engine Cover Rehab - U22

Post by offshorespars » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:01 am

I am midway through the restoration of my 1948 U22's engine box/cover. The box is largely constructed in plywood and is original. The covering from the factory was blue tolex which was the same as the seat upholstery. Currently the upholstery is red vinyl and I am returning the interior to a blue vinyl that is an extremely close match to the original blue tolex both in color and grain. When I removed the existing red vinyl there was a very thin synthetic material stapled to the plywood. I am assuming this synthetic material was not original since it was stapled and not tacked in place. I found many old tacks still in the plywood that I am assuming was left from the original installation. The rusty tacks had minute traces of what appears ro be a cotton material. The synthetic materail that I removed does not offer and "padding" between the plywood and the vinyl. It appears to be more of a material that helps slip the vinyl over the plywood reducing friction when installing. The question I have is what material was used originally between the plywood and the outside covering or what is used today for this restoration?

Thanks. Mike
1978 30' CC Sportsman
1948 22' CC Sportsman

boatmanscm

Re: Engine Cover Rehab - U22

Post by boatmanscm » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:39 pm

It has been my experience that most thin pad under all Chris Crafts vinyl over wood was a cotton , called coach wadding.
I will tell you where to find it very easy . Go to most any HOME SEWING STORE AND ASK FOR BED SPREAD BATTING . It comes in a couple types get the 100% cotton check the size , some very large , some small, 20.00 out the door.
I have used it for years and is as close to original as possible today .
Do not glue to wood use staples /stainless steel or tacks . I use staples, as tacks are hard to place AND LABOR INTENSE. Put tacks any where you may see them when finished . under seats hidem .
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]

offshorespars

Re: Engine Cover Rehab - U22

Post by offshorespars » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks very much.

Regards, Mike
1978 30' CC Sportsman
1948 22' CC Sportsman